GB Null

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
Ampersand

Re: Game Boy Null

Post by Ampersand » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:52 am

superbuzz wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 am
how do I do that?

I went into config -> bluetooth -> detect devices . or do you mean something else?
You need to edit the file /boot/config.txt

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and remove this from it:

Code: Select all

##########################
#### DISABLE BLUETOOTH ######
##########################
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

DreamKast

Post by DreamKast » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:37 am

Ampersand wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:40 am
DreamKast wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:57 am
Hi all, I literally fell in love with this project. Sounds like a good starting point for me before jumping into a GBZ and all the solding/ case mod it implies (I plan on building 3 or 4 handled devices, for my personal use)
My issue is I cannot 3D print nor laser cut acrylic in any way: can this be sold along with the kit?

Thx in advance!
The soldering for this is probably harder than a GBZ since it's pretty much all surface mount.
You can use a service like Ponoko.com or razorlab.co.uk for laser cutting.

If you're just starting with building stuff, I wouldn't recommend my project. Maybe look into GBZ aio (all in one) boards?
Cheers for such a prompt feedbacks!
Well noted, and I ll follow whenever a sale window opens. I like Kite's AIO kit a lot. Tho trying to find a budget balance and minimize the cost.

Thx again

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:31 am

DreamKast wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:37 am
Ampersand wrote:
DreamKast wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:57 am
Hi all, I literally fell in love with this project. Sounds like a good starting point for me before jumping into a GBZ and all the solding/ case mod it implies (I plan on building 3 or 4 handled devices, for my personal use)
My issue is I cannot 3D print nor laser cut acrylic in any way: can this be sold along with the kit?

Thx in advance!
The soldering for this is probably harder than a GBZ since it's pretty much all surface mount.

If you're just starting with building stuff, I wouldn't recommend my project. Maybe look into GBZ aio (all in one) boards?
Well noted, and I ll follow whenever a sale window opens. I like Kite's AIO kit a lot. Tho trying to find a budget balance and minimize the cost.

Thx again
These should be available in about a month for a GB Pocket:
https://galaxygaming.co.uk/shop/gameboy ... -full-kit/

You can get them fully made, partially made, or completely bare.
Since your concern was modifying the case, they also sell pre-cut cases so it's worth checking out.

DreamKast

Post by DreamKast » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:40 am

Ampersand wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:31 am
DreamKast wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:37 am
Ampersand wrote:

Thx again
These should be available in about a month for a GB Pocket:
https://galaxygaming.co.uk/shop/gameboy ... -full-kit/

You can get them fully made, partially made, or completely bare.
Since your concern was modifying the case, they also sell pre-cut cases so it's worth checking out.
Thx Ampersand, it sounds like a more reasonible way to get my hands on such project.
Will complement the board with Ali Express purchase, so it stays as cheap as possible, while leaving me with some drilling and moding to do.

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm

leftyfb wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:48 pm
Hey, I got your kit and so excited to get it going!. Unfortunately, I only seem to get a white screen booting up. I know it's running since I can ssh to the pi (after configuring on the SD card directly). All the fbtft stuff seems to show up as being setup by checking lsmod and dmesg. I checked continuity to each and every one of the pins for the screen. 1 through 14 all check out perfectly fine. None are shorted to eachother other than 1, 11-14 all being ground. I've tried redownloading and reflashing the image as well just in case. I did notice that fbtft says that GPIO18 is for "LED". I assume this is the backlight buy if I set it to the backlight doesn't go off.

Any ideas?
I ran into a similar situation on my second build. Once I verified that all of my GPIO pins were looking good and no overlaps I turned my attention to the screen solder points. I added a bit more solder and cleaned up a few of those lines and it seems like that was where my issue was. I would recommend going back and just double checking the screen is securely soldered. Good luck!

Coletz

Re: GB Null

Post by Coletz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 am

Hi guys!
I'm very interested in crafting a console with the concept of a N Switch, and this gb null seems to meet nearly every requisite. The idea is to attach a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter to this gb null, add a bigger battery and 3d print a slightly bigger enclosure. Then I'd like to print a "dock" for charging and connecting the hdmi at the same time, so it will be possible to play on the go + on the TV (with a controller since pi zero w has bt). My question is: is this possible with pi zero and the display used by gb null? I mean, can I use the hdmi or it's not working due to the soldered display? Is it possible to "switch" the video output on the go between soldered display and hdmi?
Thanks everyone!

PS: was going to order and it went sold out again T_T

big F

Post by big F » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:14 pm

This is a thing of beauty.

Well done to you Ampersand for creating this, peice of working art.

Industrialhammond

Post by Industrialhammond » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:31 am

Thanks, Ampersand, for a fantastic piece of kit. I was finally able to get one and I'm enjoying assembling it. The build has gone, so far, without significant problems, but the ribbon cable on that screen is giving me fits!

I verified all the connections to the Pi Zero w are correct with no bridges, but apparently my solder job on the ribbon itself was not good. When I apply power, it lights, but flickers, then after about 30 seconds, the image disappears and it's just the white backlight. I pulled power, rechecked my solder points, found a bridge between 3 & 4, fixed it and reapplied power. This time I watched the solder points, and it did the same thing again, but this time I could see a tiny waft of smoke rise from a solder joint on the ribbon cable. Looking closer at my alignment of the ribbon cable on the board, i noticed that it was askew, by probably less than half a millimeter. I managed to use some desolder wick to remove the cable from the board and clean up both contact areas. I also rechecked that the solder points are all intact in both locations, but have yet to re-solder them.

My questions are, does anybody here have any tips on soldering that screen on without bridging, and is my screen irrevocably damaged now that I've seen smoke rise from the solder points?

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 am

Industrialhammond wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:31 am
Thanks, Ampersand, for a fantastic piece of kit. I was finally able to get one and I'm enjoying assembling it. The build has gone, so far, without significant problems, but the ribbon cable on that screen is giving me fits!

I verified all the connections to the Pi Zero w are correct with no bridges, but apparently my solder job on the ribbon itself was not good. When I apply power, it lights, but flickers, then after about 30 seconds, the image disappears and it's just the white backlight. I pulled power, rechecked my solder points, found a bridge between 3 & 4, fixed it and reapplied power. This time I watched the solder points, and it did the same thing again, but this time I could see a tiny waft of smoke rise from a solder joint on the ribbon cable. Looking closer at my alignment of the ribbon cable on the board, i noticed that it was askew, by probably less than half a millimeter. I managed to use some desolder wick to remove the cable from the board and clean up both contact areas. I also rechecked that the solder points are all intact in both locations, but have yet to re-solder them.

My questions are, does anybody here have any tips on soldering that screen on without bridging, and is my screen irrevocably damaged now that I've seen smoke rise from the solder points?
Definitely sounds like it was a connection problem.

Seen this? https://youtu.be/YrofIDloHgw?t=331

I don't know if the screen is broken, if it's still lighting up, you're probably ok.

Industrialhammond

Post by Industrialhammond » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Ampersand wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 am

Definitely sounds like it was a connection problem.

Seen this? https://youtu.be/YrofIDloHgw?t=331

I don't know if the screen is broken, if it's still lighting up, you're probably ok.
Yeah, I did see that video and I did try soldering like he did, but that's what got me where I am. Maybe I didn't use enough Flux...

Either way, I'll try again when I get back from vacation and see if I can't get it going.