GB Null

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
wolffman007

Re: Game Boy Null

Post by wolffman007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 pm

[/quote]

Do they just light up or do they boot? How long are you waiting for it to turn on?
Both screens? Are you trying to get an image through hdmi? Have you soldered up the PCB with all the components?

I don’t know what the problem could be. I got everything working, then backed up my image, loaded it onto another sd and put it in an another gb null I’d made (this one without WiFi). That worked fine. Then I put the image on OneDrive.

Has the screen turned on at all? Have you remembered the small resistor?
[/quote]

No worries...it must be on my end somewhere. It looks like the board just lights up for a couple seconds - no boot screen with the raspberry. I gave it a good 25 minute wait this last go around and didn't see anything happen. Is that long enough - I know it's a large file? Tried an HDMI image just to see if something would display - only worked with a Raspbian/Retropie OS.

What is the small resistor you mentioned? I haven't seemed to use one of those on other builds. Picture is below of what I am working with, currently just trying to get the image to boot to the screen (USB mouse/keyboard are here but not plugged in if that matters)

I can always wait for the kit and give a try...just had some free time this weekend and was thinking it through on the audio side
Attachments
IMG_5824.jpg
w/ Raspbian OS
IMG_5824.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 10097 times
image1-2.jpeg
w/ GBN OS
image1-2.jpeg (511.76 KiB) Viewed 10097 times

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:59 pm

wolffman007 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 pm
Do they just light up or do they boot? How long are you waiting for it to turn on?
Both screens? Are you trying to get an image through hdmi? Have you soldered up the PCB with all the components?

I don’t know what the problem could be. I got everything working, then backed up my image, loaded it onto another sd and put it in an another gb null I’d made (this one without WiFi). That worked fine. Then I put the image on OneDrive.

Has the screen turned on at all? Have you remembered the small resistor?
[/quote]

No worries...it must be on my end somewhere. It looks like the board just lights up for a couple seconds - no boot screen with the raspberry. I gave it a good 25 minute wait this last go around and didn't see anything happen. Is that long enough - I know it's a large file? Tried an HDMI image just to see if something would display - only worked with a Raspbian/Retropie OS.

What is the small resistor you mentioned? I haven't seemed to use one of those on other builds. Picture is below of what I am working with, currently just trying to get the image to boot to the screen (USB mouse/keyboard are here but not plugged in if that matters)

I can always wait for the kit and give a try...just had some free time this weekend and was thinking it through on the audio side
[/quote]

I thought you had an actual built one :|
That’s the wrong kind of screen. The HDMI port also won’t work. Gb null uses the GPIO to connect to the screen.
There’s a small resistor in the kit that’s needed for the backlight of the screen.

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Copy that and thank you! I knew it had to be something simple... I was just going to mess around and confirm that the pi puts out good sound vis I2S amp. I thought it would be nice to have the image already configured so when I got it, I could put the kit together and be playing. Pictures are always worth a thousand words.

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:12 am

ATTENTION
When making a kit, put kapton tape across the bottom of the Pi to ensure that none of the other pads are connected.
IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6086.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 10054 times

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Ampersand...this is one awesome kit! Thank you! I have just 2 things...

1. What is the correct shut down procedure? When I hit the off switch, it does it reboot and not a shut down / power off

2. Sound works like a charm!!!!! I posted a few pics and a quick video below to show how it looks. My plan is to make some really slight modifications to the case and make a little bracket to raise the audio amp off the board. Otherwise...this is going to be an awesome emulator to play!

https://youtu.be/WwtCVYXsHE4
image1 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 9944 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 9944 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 9944 times

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 am

So when you push the shut down button, it shuts itself down before rebooting or it instantly turns off and starts rebooting?
You might have changed something when adding audio. Did it behave properly before you added audio?
It should just be one press and then it shuts down, no rebooting

wolffman007

Post by wolffman007 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 am

Ampersand wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 am
So when you push the shut down button, it shuts itself down before rebooting or it instantly turns off and starts rebooting?
You might have changed something when adding audio. Did it behave properly before you added audio?
It should just be one press and then it shuts down, no rebooting
It will shut itself down it looks like then reboot. It was doing it before I added the audio amp...The only common pins it shares with anything is the 5V and GND all of the other pins were unused.

No real big issue in the long run as everything else works just as it should.

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 pm

So with my image, unmodified, it was turning on again?
I don't know what it could be. You could try removing the code for the safe shutdown button completely and adding a different one?

tbiorrith

Post by tbiorrith » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:29 am

Fork me sideways that is a nice build. I love the simplicity in it.

superbuzz

Post by superbuzz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 pm

hmm my controls work for navigating menus etc but as soon as i fire up a game the abxy are not recognized anymore - any ideas? I tried with a few SNES games.