[ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
User avatar
mattogodoy
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 am
Location: Madrid, Spain
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by mattogodoy » Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 am

Hi Rich,
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but given that the number of orders you received I guess that the profit margin would be a good number (which I'm ok with, this takes a lot of time and effort).
At any point have you considered hiring someone to help you cut the shells? Also, have you thought of making the process simpler by using a CNC machine or some DIY rig that allows you to do it faster?

I think that hiring someone temporarily would help you, your health and us.

Bluup
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 75 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by Bluup » Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 am

I researched using a CNC rig to help, I got mine to cut the screens but the battery bay is quite complex and it takes longer with a CNC. I am happy to do the front shells, it's something we're currently talking about :). We've also had a really nice offer from someone, we're just discussing it now. I think hiring someone might be out the budget, the profit wasn't that big on it after acquiring the glass and getting them factory manufactured. It was always meant to be affordable to people so the price wasn't set too high.
Thanks for the good ideas!
Looking for info on how to get started with the Pocket FE? Check out http://www.bluuplabs.com

User avatar
AntFJ
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by AntFJ » Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 am

Bluup wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 am
I researched using a CNC rig to help, I got mine to cut the screens but the battery bay is quite complex and it takes longer with a CNC. I am happy to do the front shells, it's something we're currently talking about :). We've also had a really nice offer from someone, we're just discussing it now. I think hiring someone might be out the budget, the profit wasn't that big on it after acquiring the glass and getting them factory manufactured. It was always meant to be affordable to people so the price wasn't set too high.
Thanks for the good ideas!
I have to call bull shit on this. I bought enough parts for 7. Keep in mind prices go down considerably when buying in bulk. I also paid a premium on the boards themselves from GG. All of my prices below include shipping costs. GG easily made $30-40 on each kit and $130-140 on each premade. Im not sure I would consider that a low profit margin for someone doing this as a hobby.

Pi Zero W = $5.00
16GB SD Card = $6.00
Board = $5.75
Switch = $1.97
Pololu Board = $4.62
ADS1015 = $1.62
SMD Components = $5.66
Volume Wheel = $0.59
Battery = $3.92
Screen = $8.39
Shell = $6.20
USB Connector = $0.50
Speaker = $0.54
Buttons/Rubbers = $2.00
Back Boards = $1.00
3d Prints = $2.00
TP4056 Board = $1.00
Fake Cart = $3?
Glass = $4?
qi Charging = $4?
HDMI cord = $4?

Total for me = $60.76
Total for me without pi/sd = $49.76

Total with cart, hdmi, charging with no pi/sd = $60.76

Kit price.. 80 GBP = $102.95

Premade.. 150 GBP = $193.02

User avatar
KonnorJ
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by KonnorJ » Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am

AntFJ wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 am
Bluup wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 am
I researched using a CNC rig to help, I got mine to cut the screens but the battery bay is quite complex and it takes longer with a CNC. I am happy to do the front shells, it's something we're currently talking about :). We've also had a really nice offer from someone, we're just discussing it now. I think hiring someone might be out the budget, the profit wasn't that big on it after acquiring the glass and getting them factory manufactured. It was always meant to be affordable to people so the price wasn't set too high.
Thanks for the good ideas!
I have to call bull shit on this. I bought enough parts for 7. Keep in mind prices go down considerably when buying in bulk. I also paid a premium on the boards themselves from GG. All of my prices below include shipping costs. GG easily made $30-40 on each kit and $130-140 on each premade. Im not sure I would consider that a low profit margin for someone doing this as a hobby.

Pi Zero W = $5.00
16GB SD Card = $6.00
Board = $5.75
Switch = $1.97
Pololu Board = $4.62
ADS1015 = $1.62
SMD Components = $5.66
Volume Wheel = $0.59
Battery = $3.92
Screen = $8.39
Shell = $6.20
USB Connector = $0.50
Speaker = $0.54
Buttons/Rubbers = $2.00
Back Boards = $1.00
3d Prints = $2.00
TP4056 Board = $1.00
Fake Cart = $3?
Glass = $4?
qi Charging = $4?
HDMI cord = $4?

Total for me = $60.76
Total for me without pi/sd = $49.76

Total with cart, hdmi, charging with no pi/sd = $60.76

Kit price.. 80 GBP = $102.95

Premade.. 150 GBP = $193.02
What you are forgetting is businesses have overhead and are out to make a profit primarily, I also dont see time/effort/labour on your price list. Businesses need to make profit to thrive, these kits while obviously sold at a profit, are still relatively affordable and easy to put together, if this was a bag of bits not assembled, not cut, not anything then maybe the price would in fact be too high, but this is a kit all assembled and cut, making it easy for the end user to use.

Warp_Man
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:05 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by Warp_Man » Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

KonnorJ wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am
AntFJ wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 am
Bluup wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 am
I researched using a CNC rig to help, I got mine to cut the screens but the battery bay is quite complex and it takes longer with a CNC. I am happy to do the front shells, it's something we're currently talking about :). We've also had a really nice offer from someone, we're just discussing it now. I think hiring someone might be out the budget, the profit wasn't that big on it after acquiring the glass and getting them factory manufactured. It was always meant to be affordable to people so the price wasn't set too high.
Thanks for the good ideas!
I have to call bull shit on this. I bought enough parts for 7. Keep in mind prices go down considerably when buying in bulk. I also paid a premium on the boards themselves from GG. All of my prices below include shipping costs. GG easily made $30-40 on each kit and $130-140 on each premade. Im not sure I would consider that a low profit margin for someone doing this as a hobby.

Pi Zero W = $5.00
16GB SD Card = $6.00
Board = $5.75
Switch = $1.97
Pololu Board = $4.62
ADS1015 = $1.62
SMD Components = $5.66
Volume Wheel = $0.59
Battery = $3.92
Screen = $8.39
Shell = $6.20
USB Connector = $0.50
Speaker = $0.54
Buttons/Rubbers = $2.00
Back Boards = $1.00
3d Prints = $2.00
TP4056 Board = $1.00
Fake Cart = $3?
Glass = $4?
qi Charging = $4?
HDMI cord = $4?

Total for me = $60.76
Total for me without pi/sd = $49.76

Total with cart, hdmi, charging with no pi/sd = $60.76

Kit price.. 80 GBP = $102.95

Premade.. 150 GBP = $193.02
What you are forgetting is businesses have overhead and are out to make a profit primarily, I also dont see time/effort/labour on your price list. Businesses need to make profit to thrive, these kits while obviously sold at a profit, are still relatively affordable and easy to put together, if this was a bag of bits not assembled, not cut, not anything then maybe the price would in fact be too high, but this is a kit all assembled and cut, making it easy for the end user to use.
So, Galaxy Gaming is a fully registered business? Overheads? I thought this was in conjunction with a 9-5? So it doesn't have premises or additional staff costs. All I see is a website. What are these overheads in relation to GG?

Bluup
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 75 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by Bluup » Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am

Call bullshit all you want, I'm giving you the facts. What you've not factored in there is the cost of getting the boards manufactured at a factory, getting them shipped, having them develop a version of the Pololu board because they couldn't get the quantity out to China, having to get prototypes of the glass cut because I designed it from scratch, having to prototype the board, having to buy extra buttons for X,Y, and shoulder, having to pay more to get parts shipped because when buying in bulk the shipping is more expensive, oh and import taxes on nearly all the parts because they exceed the threshold. The list goes on really. So yes, if you just cost up parts we're making $30-40 a board, but factor all the other stuff in, we're making about $12-16 a board, if that, between us, not factoring in labour. If we could hire someone, we would, because we want this done and shipped to everyone.
Last edited by Bluup on Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for info on how to get started with the Pocket FE? Check out http://www.bluuplabs.com

User avatar
KonnorJ
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by KonnorJ » Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 am

Warp_Man wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am
KonnorJ wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am
AntFJ wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 am


I have to call bull shit on this. I bought enough parts for 7. Keep in mind prices go down considerably when buying in bulk. I also paid a premium on the boards themselves from GG. All of my prices below include shipping costs. GG easily made $30-40 on each kit and $130-140 on each premade. Im not sure I would consider that a low profit margin for someone doing this as a hobby.

Pi Zero W = $5.00
16GB SD Card = $6.00
Board = $5.75
Switch = $1.97
Pololu Board = $4.62
ADS1015 = $1.62
SMD Components = $5.66
Volume Wheel = $0.59
Battery = $3.92
Screen = $8.39
Shell = $6.20
USB Connector = $0.50
Speaker = $0.54
Buttons/Rubbers = $2.00
Back Boards = $1.00
3d Prints = $2.00
TP4056 Board = $1.00
Fake Cart = $3?
Glass = $4?
qi Charging = $4?
HDMI cord = $4?

Total for me = $60.76
Total for me without pi/sd = $49.76

Total with cart, hdmi, charging with no pi/sd = $60.76

Kit price.. 80 GBP = $102.95

Premade.. 150 GBP = $193.02
What you are forgetting is businesses have overhead and are out to make a profit primarily, I also dont see time/effort/labour on your price list. Businesses need to make profit to thrive, these kits while obviously sold at a profit, are still relatively affordable and easy to put together, if this was a bag of bits not assembled, not cut, not anything then maybe the price would in fact be too high, but this is a kit all assembled and cut, making it easy for the end user to use.
So, Galaxy Gaming is a fully registered business? Overheads? I thought this was in conjunction with a 9-5? So it doesn't have premises or additional staff costs. All I see is a website. What are these overheads in relation to GG?
Primarily, website cost, ssl certificate, hosting, tools, material, maintenance etc etc

Bluup
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 75 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by Bluup » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 am

Warp_Man wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am
So, Galaxy Gaming is a fully registered business? Overheads? I thought this was in conjunction with a 9-5? So it doesn't have premises or additional staff costs. All I see is a website. What are these overheads in relation to GG?
I've outlined above the expenses people don't think about when tallying up the cost of the pocket FE, hopefully that gives you an insight into it all. I believe GG is registered as a business, you have to be in the UK, to trade. That or you can self assess, but yes, you need to declare profits for tax purposes. The guy who runs it does work a 9-5, this doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to being a fully registered business.
Looking for info on how to get started with the Pocket FE? Check out http://www.bluuplabs.com

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 1318 times
Contact:

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by wermy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am

Guys, it's understandably tense in here, but let's try to keep it civil.
ImageImageImageImage

Zero101
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:15 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by Zero101 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:18 am

It seems easy to play armchair accountant, but I don't think anyone should go down the road of trying to figure out how much money was spent/made by GG. It is very hard to gauge the cost of prototyping boards at a larger scale... especially since we know that Galaxy Games had some issues with parts at various phases and had to order new components.

How much profit Galaxy Games does or doesn't make is beside the point. Everyone who ordered agreed it was a fair price at the time of purchase. As long as the product remains true to what was originally ordered, nothing else should really matter.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest