[ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
cedschmurz

Re: [ PRE ORDER ] Gameboy Zero PocketPi FE

Post by cedschmurz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:11 pm

very interesting 8-)
One thing i didn't understand you told me : it was only one additional controller and the Gameboy was officiating controller when playing on TV or it's possible to connect 2 joysticks ?

Thanx

pozooo

Post by pozooo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 am

Any news about boards coming from Makerfabs? We are at final boss stage (ish) according to the timeline for round 3 by date, but i doubt that stands. Do you still test the boards before sending or are the pretested by Makerfabs?

I just want to know where we (round 3) stand at the timetable.

I don't mind waiting, i know you are working hard to get these out.

I know it's worth the wait.

Thanks

Bluup

Post by Bluup » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am

They're fabricating the safe shutdown boards to go on the FE boards. Once they'd come back from the Chinese New Year break they messaged us asking some questions about what type of soldering technique we wanted using on them. That's the last we've heard from them. As soon as we know more we'll post.
They've taken to designing these safe shutdown boards because they were too expensive to import. It wasn't originally part of the plan. I'm not sure if this is why it's taken them slightly longer, they claimed it hasn't but I suspect it has.

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 pm

And that's what I hate about you guys. Sorry to say that, but, just 5 days ago I asked if the given date for batch 3 (and everything else) is realistic...
You will stick mostly and as much as you can to that date was the answer. That date was yesterday. Just 4 days after my question.
And now you say the stuff you need isn´t even shipped from china. You don´t even know the status of your order.
So it looks like another weeks or months will go by before you can ship. Considering the time china shippments take sometimes.

All I asked for was a realistic timeline...

Man I really should stop reading here, forget about this and just be happy when my order arrives someday this year. If I keep on reading I'm sure I will be pissed a few more times.

Is it really that hard to say you don´t know it, it could take a few more weeks instead of saying everything is on the way, while it is not?

Thanks for doing all of this, but this is just shit. You really should talk to each other to really know what's going on and honestly post that instead of writing stuff without really knowing it. I'm espiecially reffering to Konnors posts. They look to me like "I don´t have a clue, but I want to help and I need to give some sort of positiv answer now."

But maybe it's just me and I should shut up because I understood that wrong. But what I got was everything that didn´t ship until know (kits) will ship together with batch 3.
And I don´t see that happen within the next few days. Sorry to write stuff like this, but this time I'm really pissed because I just especially asked for a realistic answer. Nothing else. Not that you ship immediately, not a refund or something like this. Just something to really know if I have to wait longer, which I will, or if I can be happy because this time you are really going to ship soon.

I really appriciate all your work on this but I hate how you handle the delay. You three should talk to each other and find a way to do this way better. Unforseen stuff just happens and that's ok. It's not having to wait that pisses me off and for sure others too.

Sorry but whoa, I'm just angry right now.

mattogodoy

Post by mattogodoy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 pm

I am with @ekilla.
I think we have been more than patient an understanding, and we don't deserve the lack of communication and transparency we're having here.

I have already lost count on how many "this time for real" dates you have given us at this point. I know first hand how hard is to manufacture electronic devices to sell, but you have to understand that you are not only dealing with our hard earn money, but also with our illusions.

All we ask for is communication. Every time a promised date has passed by without you shipping the kits you stay silent like nothing happened. I think you should take responsibility and face us. Be professional. Give some explanation and continue with the project, but the silence drives me (and everyone else) crazy.

I don't think you are lying to us. I think you are lying to yourselves.
Please stop giving random dates that you cannot accomplish. Sit down for a minute and make a realistic guess of when you will have ALL of the necessary components for the kits and how long they will take to assemble so you don't depend on external factors. Only then give us a date.

Also think in the image of your company. I for one, am VERY sure that this is the first and the last time I buy something from Galaxy Gaming, and I can assure you I'm not the only one. Transparency is key and you don't have it.

In the meantime, I'll wait... what else can I do?

galaxygaming

Post by galaxygaming » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:05 pm

cedschmurz wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:11 pm
very interesting 8-)
One thing i didn't understand you told me : it was only one additional controller and the Gameboy was officiating controller when playing on TV or it's possible to connect 2 joysticks ?

Thanx
You can connect your controller through Bluetooth, I believe it is possible to connect multiple devices but id confirm with your specific controlled to see if it is supported through retropie.

Joeblowv1

Post by Joeblowv1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:54 pm

8-) Hey guys, so the bare board kicked my butt and made me really wish I had a better soldering iron. I'm struggling with a few areas and I'm wondering if anyone could help?

I got everythintg soldered on as best I could making sure nothing was bridged (that I know of) and couldn't get power through the side mount micro usb. So I tried the usb on the pi itself and wound up with smoke? Coming from somewhere. As far as I could tell the smd in the 3R location was incorrect as it is now missing, and apparently torched itself off the board lol

So my question here is. Bridged pins? Wrong location for that resistor? I did notice that all the small parts matched up and made sense as aforementioned in here except for R2 I was left with the 150k ohms resistor and as that was the only piece I had left, I stuck that at R2? Was that incorrect? Clearly something weird is going on, and I'll likely just have to get a hot air rework station and tear the thing apart looking for bridged connections

Did just want to finalize first all my smds were in the right locations?

pozooo

Post by pozooo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:06 am

I really like you guys being open and honest about problems in the supply chain. I have had a good experience about your support over here. But being too optimistic and not considering problems to date and possible other delays is another thing. I know you are trying to catch up from the other end and this is only about those boards. What i really would love is the timeline being updated on a go as you get more information about those shipments from MakerFabs. This would provide more information as a whole, rather than us whining the same thing here over and over. We are just anxious to get these in our hands as the promised date is in our hands.

One question about the build. Do you think i can squeeze a wireless kb dongle between rpi usb and the charging board?
I have a nano adapter and dongle. Got a fun idea what to do with the gameboy when it's done and don't want to do many changes to it as keeping it clean build.

Thanks

cedschmurz

Post by cedschmurz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 am

galaxygaming wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:05 pm
You can connect your controller through Bluetooth, I believe it is possible to connect multiple devices but id confirm with your specific controlled to see if it is supported through retropie.

and the management of 2 controllers is it supported via a usb hub on retropie ?
Is it plug'n play ?

galaxygaming

Post by galaxygaming » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:25 am

Joeblowv1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:54 pm
8-) Hey guys, so the bare board kicked my butt and made me really wish I had a better soldering iron. I'm struggling with a few areas and I'm wondering if anyone could help?

I got everythintg soldered on as best I could making sure nothing was bridged (that I know of) and couldn't get power through the side mount micro usb. So I tried the usb on the pi itself and wound up with smoke? Coming from somewhere. As far as I could tell the smd in the 3R location was incorrect as it is now missing, and apparently torched itself off the board lol

So my question here is. Bridged pins? Wrong location for that resistor? I did notice that all the small parts matched up and made sense as aforementioned in here except for R2 I was left with the 150k ohms resistor and as that was the only piece I had left, I stuck that at R2? Was that incorrect? Clearly something weird is going on, and I'll likely just have to get a hot air rework station and tear the thing apart looking for bridged connections

Did just want to finalize first all my smds were in the right locations?
Ouch! Seems like you may have shorted something out here.

If you are 100% sure you used all correct values in the right places etc then id put it down to soldering job or a short.

Sounds like you may not have soldered the micro usb correctly so that did not supply voltage to the system or you may have shorted 5vin and ground.

Is appreciate it if you could get some pics of the assembly preferably high quality and close up so i can see what's gone wrong here.

The resistor at 3r should be a 3 ohm resistor so check that you got that right.

Look forward to hearing all from you with those pics so we can get this working.