[WANTED] Gameboy Pocket Common Ground PCB?

Post all "Looking to buy XYZ" threads here.
dirtybeagles

[WANTED] Gameboy Pocket Common Ground PCB?

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:02 am

On the search for a common ground PCB for the game boy pocket. I do not believe the DMG custom PCB will fit. If anyone knows of a place please post it. I will be searching and will post if I find anything.

Kilren

Re: [WANTED] Gameboy Pocket Common Ground PCB?

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:09 am

dirtybeagles wrote:On the search for a common ground PCB for the game boy pocket. I do not believe the DMG custom PCB will fit. If anyone knows of a place please post it. I will be searching and will post if I find anything.
This might be a waiting game but I think it's in Helder's to do list after he finished his 3-in-1 board (I've heard a rumor).

@Helder?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:28 pm

I can do the GBC and possibly the GBA (just need to pick one up) since that's what I can get and have on hand. I don't have a pocket but if they're cheap enough I can pick one up.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Not sure if this is helpful but the MGB (pocket) and CGB (Color) have the same layout from what I can tell. I don't have precision instruments to measure, but aside from having a few extra holes, one board should be able to work on either body. Kill two birds...

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Already have a GBC board coming in so we will see if it's the same.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Good to hear, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Keep up the great work!

PonderQuietly

Post by PonderQuietly » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:10 am

I'd be in on one of those :)

Perhaps due to space an all-in-one might be too big? But i bet a heap of people will be craming GBA SP's into MGB's with them.

The issue is screen size from what I figure, 2.5 is too small and 3.5 is maxed out (does look epic).

Mind you an MGB DMG shell with AGS-101 guts and with hidden L and R's using tacs in the screw holes..... add a flash cart and you have pixle perfect heaven ;)
Wish not to be anyone but whom you are, for when you do, you will wish for nothing ;)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:19 am

PonderQuietly wrote:I'd be in on one of those :)

Perhaps due to space an all-in-one might be too big? But i bet a heap of people will be craming GBA SP's into MGB's with them.

The issue is screen size from what I figure, 2.5 is too small and 3.5 is maxed out (does look epic).

Mind you an MGB DMG shell with AGS-101 guts and with hidden L and R's using tacs in the screw holes..... add a flash cart and you have pixle perfect heaven ;)
I'm working on a Universal GB Color and GB Pocket board right now, going to try to cram as much as possible into it but not going to be adding analog sticks or any of that and the screen I think a 3.2 is what is being used. @NyteFury already has a starting build of the GBP, maybe he can shed some light on what he used.

NyteFury

Post by NyteFury » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I was able to cram this: https://goo.gl/jTwyUQ 3.5" screen in the pocket. It was sold by "epathdeals". I believe it's variant 7 of this particular monitor. I removed the housing, literally all the housing from the LCD. It is just the bare LCD and the controller board in the pocket case. Getting the LCD in the shell required removing all four top screw posts, grinding down roughly a mm total of the sides of the case, and grinding down part of the rear shell where the cart goes in to make the monitor board have clearance. It's definitely not easy to get a 3.5" screen in the pocket. I don't think the adafruit screen would have fit, or really any 3.5" screen that you couldn't completely take out of its housing.

My goal is to have the Pi in the cart, L and R buttons, and a 3.5" screen. I'm planning on using the tiny tictac buttons that @wermy used in his original build for the L and R buttons. I definitely will not have room for any extra USB ports or anything like that. I was looking at all the boards I've got to cram in there today and it's going to be ssuuuppeeerrrrr tight with the 3.5" screen. I will probably be 3d printing custom screw holes so that I can even close the case once everything is done.
Gameboy Pocket Zero [in progress]: http://imgur.com/a/L87uk

PonderQuietly

Post by PonderQuietly » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:50 pm

NyteFury wrote:I was able to cram this: https://goo.gl/jTwyUQ 3.5" screen in the pocket. It was sold by "epathdeals". I believe it's variant 7 of this particular monitor. I removed the housing, literally all the housing from the LCD. It is just the bare LCD and the controller board in the pocket case. Getting the LCD in the shell required removing all four top screw posts, grinding down roughly a mm total of the sides of the case, and grinding down part of the rear shell where the cart goes in to make the monitor board have clearance. It's definitely not easy to get a 3.5" screen in the pocket. I don't think the adafruit screen would have fit, or really any 3.5" screen that you couldn't completely take out of its housing.

My goal is to have the Pi in the cart, L and R buttons, and a 3.5" screen. I'm planning on using the tiny tictac buttons that @wermy used in his original build for the L and R buttons. I definitely will not have room for any extra USB ports or anything like that. I was looking at all the boards I've got to cram in there today and it's going to be ssuuuppeeerrrrr tight with the 3.5" screen. I will probably be 3d printing custom screw holes so that I can even close the case once everything is done.
I looked at your post, that is an awesome fitment job. 3.5 is tricky in size for sure. That's why i was pondering a gba sp internals swapout. Slighly smaller screen. The pocket is such a perfect form factor....

Oh the old age problem of space v battery draw from pretty displays ;)
Wish not to be anyone but whom you are, for when you do, you will wish for nothing ;)