Could this type of battery be adapted?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Pun1sh3R

Re: Could this type of battery be adapted?

Post by Pun1sh3R » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:20 pm

There are to many different 18650's out there. Search for Protected 18650. They do make them. I run one in a LED flashlight. If it is a cheap battery, I would stay away from those.

Frank

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 am

Muon wrote: I think 1 would probably be enough, but does this have the protection built in?
Yes, it does. "Schutzschaltung BMS von Seiko (made in Japan) XZD-1S5530"
I'm sure there are a lot of similar batteries online.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:42 am

AerynSun wrote:I got one of the 18650 with 3500mAh into my case (link). But they are really big, I think you could fit 2 of them in, if you really wanted to, but it all depends on your build. If you have the SNES L&R button it could be a problem. I ordered one to try it out, 3500mAh for 12€ is a really good deal ;)
I noticed also that that battery has three leads coming off it. Red, white and black, and a different connector. Did you replace the connector with a JST-PH, and just use the red and black? Is that alright to do? What is the white for? Thanks. :)

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:39 am

Muon wrote:
AerynSun wrote:I got one of the 18650 with 3500mAh into my case (link). But they are really big, I think you could fit 2 of them in, if you really wanted to, but it all depends on your build. If you have the SNES L&R button it could be a problem. I ordered one to try it out, 3500mAh for 12€ is a really good deal ;)
I noticed also that that battery has three leads coming off it. Red, white and black, and a different connector. Did you replace the connector with a JST-PH, and just use the red and black? Is that alright to do? What is the white for? Thanks. :)
That is exactly what I did. The third wire is for temp measurement.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:37 am

AerynSun wrote:That is exactly what I did. The third wire is for temp measurement.
Great thanks! :) Well, I ordered that cell, I was charged the same price again tho for delivery. I hope I don't get stung for import charges. Did you just cut the white cable off then?

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Muon wrote:
AerynSun wrote:That is exactly what I did. The third wire is for temp measurement.
Great thanks! :) Well, I ordered that cell, I was charged the same price again tho for delivery. I hope I don't get stung for import charges. Did you just cut the white cable off then?
I just put some shrink tube over it to make sure it doesn't cause any shorts and left it at that length. Doesn't really bother me. You can shorten it of course, just make sure it is isolated.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:32 am

AerynSun wrote:I just put some shrink tube over it to make sure it doesn't cause any shorts and left it at that length. Doesn't really bother me. You can shorten it of course, just make sure it is isolated.
Ah, good tip, thanks.