another 5v conversion.

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dandy

another 5v conversion.

Post by dandy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:07 am

Hi I've got another screen since i ruined the last one. Now this one is completely different. Its all in one and too big. with the code 1633 on it. I have found a guide on how to cut it down to fit into the GB case, but how do i convert it to work on 5v. I have ran the screen off a 9v battery and worked fine. Thanks
Attachments
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 5583 times

Hex

Re: another 5v conversion.

Post by Hex » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:20 am

Can you check the part number of IC7. It is certainly your voltage converter.
Sent from 20,000 leagues under the sea

My Cardboard GBZ build : http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2851

EmulationStation optimization for Pi Zero : http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2922

dandy

Post by dandy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Hex wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:20 am
Can you check the part number of IC7. It is certainly your voltage converter.
Yes, that is the Voltage regulator. LX1509 do I need a jumper on the output pin?

Raquor

Post by Raquor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Can you link to the guide you found to cut the board down smaller? I had ordered two of the backup screens a year ago and got one with a big board like that, not sure it's the same one but at least that might point me in the direction to make use of it. :)

dandy

Post by dandy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 am

Raquor wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:29 pm
Can you link to the guide you found to cut the board down smaller? I had ordered two of the backup screens a year ago and got one with a big board like that, not sure it's the same one but at least that might point me in the direction to make use of it. :)
Not a guide per se.. I can't figure it out.
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... it=#p31603
Let me know if you do.

Raquor

Post by Raquor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 am

dandy wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 am
Not a guide per se.. I can't figure it out.
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... it=#p31603
Let me know if you do.
Please note that I have no idea what I'm doing, or talking about, so the below may be entirely inaccurate, take it with a massive grain of salt. ;)

I haven't tried yet but from my limited understanding of changes made to other boards, I suspect the following is happening based on those pictures:
  • Remove white wire as it's (usually) a duplicate of the yellow wire and unnecessary.
    • Leave Black (typically ground) and yellow (video) where they are
  • Move red wire (typically power) to the other chip in the image to pull power from a different location
  • Remove the tactile switches (buttons) and cut off that portion of the board entirely
    • You won't be able to tweak brightness or contrast but perhaps that's not much of an issue
  • Remove two of the capacitors and cut off that side of the board which also removes a chip that appears to be labeled ic7
    • You confirmed above that this is apparently the regulator that is usually removed from other boards so cutting that off may be the most beneficial part of cutting up this board.

Dethoinas

Post by Dethoinas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm so glad to have found someone with the same board and especially more glad that there's an explanation of how to cut it down and rewire it! So, thanks!