1up Gameboy Guide. community edition

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
sggeek

1up Gameboy Guide. community edition

Post by sggeek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 am

Hi everyone, I've meddled with this kit for abit and gotten alot of feedback regarding the guide. Basically there's alot of things the guide wasn't so clear, and even I am not that clear in the beginning. I didn't get right the first time and I'm back to right some wrongs with this new guide. As you know 1up is a chinese company and culturally, they aren't very western thinking. They have been bootstrapping constantly and some of you buying from them will realize they'll give you items that's different from their guide.
I have been bitten quite a bit with some of these issues, so I did a community edition guide for all of you guys who are having problems and also help with understanding what you're actually doing.

The guide will keep on improving as more tips and tricks come up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hldjtmignz73h ... 1.pdf?dl=0

next version will have wiring regarding the voltage drop when you use AA batteries to power the board.

Here's some insert previews for people who have the slightly older guide.
screen.JPG
screen.JPG (123.36 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
gpio_cut.JPG
gpio_cut.JPG (161.92 KiB) Viewed 7506 times

Lpoolm

Re: 1up Gameboy Guide. community edition

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 am

thanks for your work on this, i am sure i am not the only person that has been pulling there hair out with this build and if i am being honest have not really enjoyed it!!!!
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am

This build looks attractive... at first. Then when you take a close look, you discover that this is a real butchering, and a real makeshit job... i find the ports on the sides ugly, the screws to maintain the two halves just errrr... can’t find the word.
The basis are good, the idea also, but it leads to messy builds and completely distort the original game boy and it’s completely misrepresenting the GBZ.
This only my personnal opinion.
The last word but not the least, you have zero support and people (like you) have to deal themselves to solves the translation issues, the bad pictures (showing unneeded things)...
Follow me on instagram Image

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:34 am

YaYa wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am
This build looks attractive... at first. Then when you take a close look, you discover that this is a real butchering, and a real makeshit job... i find the ports on the sides ugly, the screws to maintain the two halves just errrr... can’t find the word.
The basis are good, the idea also, but it leads to messy builds and completely distort the original game boy and it’s completely misrepresenting the GBZ.
This only my personnal opinion.
The last word but not the least, you have zero support and people (like you) have to deal themselves to solves the translation issues, the bad pictures (showing unneeded things)...
i see a lot of people saying these comments, but i really like the look? Not sure why as i love building a zero that looks so stock and this is in the opposite direction but there is something about it? the screws on the side are a bit fugly though! ;)
Once i finish my build i will play it for a while then sell to get my money back but would never buy another, or recommend it :lol:

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am

maybe you built this device for the challenge of learning Chinese ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 am

YaYa wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am
maybe you built this device for the challenge of learning Chinese ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
i well and truly failed that too then :lol:

sggeek

Post by sggeek » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm

yeap i do agree there's probably a preference when it comes to builds. I came in as a noob and of course because I wanted the 6 button layout and there wasn't a solution out there. I really wanted to do my marvel super heros combos like it was in the arcades. Now I am trying to find ways to make it look good, if you guys have any suggestions , do let me know.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 pm

sggeek wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm
yeap i do agree there's probably a preference when it comes to builds. I came in as a noob and of course because I wanted the 6 button layout and there wasn't a solution out there. I really wanted to do my marvel super heros combos like it was in the arcades. Now I am trying to find ways to make it look good, if you guys have any suggestions , do let me know.
For the 6 buttons layout you can go with Kite’s SAIO and Hoolyhoos bracket ;)

This will gives you the almost perfect build.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2553
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3295

You can check my signature for some details on using SAIO (4 buttons layout) but the principe is the same

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:41 am

sggeek wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm
Now I am trying to find ways to make it look good, if you guys have any suggestions , do let me know.
for me (and this is just my own opinion, so dont get offended/upset).....

there are 3 mods/alterations/things that the 1UP builds can benefit from to make them look a little cleaner....

firstly and secondly.....

firstly...some of the ports on the side need to go, especially the ethernet port and at least two of the usb ports (one block)....
i appriciate that these arent that easy for some to remove, and also some might not want to mess with the Pi3 just in case they damage it or at some point in the future want to remove from the build and re-use it...
but one things for sure, it will make that side look alot cleaner.....

secondly... this i appricate is a must in the build (until someone comes up with another solution) is the screws that allow the case to be secured together....
one fix i thought of for these would be some sort of cap

i doubt it that your gonna find caps for screws that small, but that doesnt mean a cap cant be 3d printed...

if done correctly....
they could match the colour of the case/shell
or contrast with or against the button

its not ideal, but would/might make it look alot cleaner

thirdly.... and this again is something again that cant really be help, is the screen and the lack of a screen surround....
(which to be honest, isnt as major as the first two mods/alterations/things)

i've used the same screen in a build myself, but had luxury/option to place the screen where i wanted it (within reason)

and with adjusting the overscan setting (which some might not like doing) was able to use a standard bezal from deadpan robot....

now i appriciate that because the screen cant be moved around, things are very limited in this department....
and looking at the placement of the screen, which is slightly higher up in the case/shell, using an off the shelf GBZ surround may not work either.....

that lip/edge at the bottom is alot bigger than the surround that are available....
you could try making you own (not sure how practical that would be)
or put a clear surround on (which doesnt really mask things up)
or adjust the overscan setting (alot) and use a standard GBZ bezal (still not ideal because of the bottom lip/edge)

but some thing creative would have to be done to make this look cleaner......

just my opinions/suggestions.....

sggeek

Post by sggeek » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks Verterangamer! Don't worry about it, this is the furthest from upset I'll get. My build is hedious but it is complete, that's what i tell myself. haha. I'm actually very appreciative of you taking time to look into my build, really appreciate it. Yeap for the next build i'm already planning to remove some of the ports. it is excessive now that we already have wifi on the pi.
As for the screws, I bought another GB and i'm opening up to check how he did the screws.
IMG_20171015_222621.jpg
IMG_20171015_222621.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 7405 times
If i can do that, i think it would be much preferable.

As for the surround bevel thing that is actually also my main gripe with the 1up. It seems either i have to have a really thick surround , or I'll have a big exposed, bottom edge of the LCD. I'm trying those Banggood screen and switching the video to analog next build. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input.