Replacement power switch

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Sprockett

Replacement power switch

Post by Sprockett » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm building christmas gameboys for my kids, I found cases with no internals which will work perfectly. Has anyone found a good replacement switch?, it's pretty wide and I'd like to find a good fit. I have just about everything else parted out, it's all these little odds and ends that are a pain :D

Thanks

Kilren

Re: Replacement power switch

Post by Kilren » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Sprockett wrote:I'm building christmas gameboys for my kids, I found cases with no internals which will work perfectly. Has anyone found a good replacement switch?, it's pretty wide and I'd like to find a good fit. I have just about everything else parted out, it's all these little odds and ends that are a pain :D

Thanks
@Popcorn pushed me in the right direction for which ones to buy. DPDT Switch
You'll have to trim the button and the legs, but it does fit.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:11 am

Kilren wrote:
Sprockett wrote:I'm building christmas gameboys for my kids, I found cases with no internals which will work perfectly. Has anyone found a good replacement switch?, it's pretty wide and I'd like to find a good fit. I have just about everything else parted out, it's all these little odds and ends that are a pain :D

Thanks
It´s exactly the same size as the original one? I mean, because I have a switch (shorter than the original) which does not reach to the end of the gameboy case, and doesn´t look as good.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:31 am

They do ship to Spain, so if they are the like the originals (my doubt was the 'throw' you said), and they fit perfectly, I wouldn´t mind sending you 5pcs as they come 10 in the package.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:56 am

I am off to holidays on thursday, but if i manage to test my switches before that, i am going to send you one, if you'd like.
Just PM me your address in case they fit. You only want those that have the same "leeway" as the original one, right?

evil_BaD_one

Post by evil_BaD_one » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 am

Kilren wrote:

Thanks
I tried this switch, but I felt it was too big, even after shaving, got these and prefer them due to the size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351082105487?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Tamasco wrote:
Kilren wrote:

Thanks
It´s exactly the same size as the original one? I mean, because I have a switch (shorter than the original) which does not reach to the end of the gameboy case, and doesn´t look as good.
It's not exactly the same size as the original. The plastic switch is taller and the whole height is higher but when it's on its side and with one leg bent, and the switch itself trimmed down a bit, it fits nice and snug in place. The dimensions of the slider is the perfect width and the feel of the switch snapping on and off feel exactly like the original.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 am

Popcorn wrote:
Tamasco wrote:
Kilren wrote: @Popcorn pushed me in the right direction for which ones to buy. DPDT Switch
It's not exactly the same size as the original. The plastic switch is taller and the whole height is higher but when it's on its side and with one leg bent, and the switch itself trimmed down a bit, it fits nice and snug in place. The dimensions of the slider is the perfect width and the feel of the switch snapping on and off feel exactly like the original.
This switch we are talking about, is the same you have used it in your build, right?

My main worry. Does it reach the other side completly when it´s powered on? So as you said, feels exactly the same as the original.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 am

Just ordered a bunch of these Will need slight modification to the slider to allow it to fit inside the Gameboy switch cover. Double pole isn't strictly necessary, but I need it.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:25 am

Tamasco wrote:
Popcorn wrote:
Tamasco wrote:
This switch we are talking about, is the same you have used it in your build, right?

My main worry. Does it reach the other side completly when it´s powered on? So as you said, feels exactly the same as the original.

I said before, its the same width as the original. It snaps on and off like the original. So yes. It goes all the way from edge to edge.