Gameboy Zero SNES Emulation runs smooth then crashes

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
sairane67

Gameboy Zero SNES Emulation runs smooth then crashes

Post by sairane67 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:16 am

I'm running a Gameboy Zero with a Raspberry Pi Zero W overclocked. GB and GBC games run perfectly fine with no problems. SNES emulating using lr-snes9x2002 runs perfect for about 5 minutes before crashing. Sometimes it crashes back to the menu and sometimes it crashes the Emulation Station back to splash screen. This has happened to me with Chrono Trigger and Super Castlevania IV.

I have tried other SNES9x Emulators, different ROM files, and different overclock settings.

Overclock Settings:

arm_freq=1050

gpu_freq=400

core_freq=400

sdram_freq=500

sdram_schmoo=0x02000020

over_voltage=6 (default)

sdram_over_voltage=2

I've found setting GPU and Core freq to 500 scramble the video. Having the Arm freq to 1050 has the emulation last longer than the intro sequence before crashing.

So my question is: Why does the game run smooth as butter for about 5 minutes before crashing? What could be the cause? You'll have to forgive me as I am very new to this and just started learning about computers and how they function as a hobby. Thank you for reading this.