Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Zarrath

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Zarrath » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:34 am

Hi all I ordered my screen from aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-S ... 239.wTtjxb

It has small board. I did not tried to run it 5v without modification but after modification it works well.
I did not liked the color configuration and brightness. red colour is too dominant. I have to adjust so often for different systems. It has one dead pixel on the right (you cannot see unless screen is black)

For anyone who is interested I measured the current draw for battery calculation (I will also measure it for pi zero for different systems). it draws 350 mA @ 5v
Attachments
IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG (654.56 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG (575.73 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG (733.44 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG (656.73 KiB) Viewed 9058 times

DarrylUK

Post by DarrylUK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Treguard wrote:
chaosratt wrote:
Treguard wrote:Currently using the BW car display on Amazon and it seems to work ok without having to chamge/remove the voltage regulator.
The image came on for about 5 seconds the first time i switched it on, but it stays on now np.

The only thing i've noticed is that there are flickering/hazy lines over the image. I haven't correctly changed the resolution to 320x240 and disabled overscan, but unsure if this is what would be causing the image to flicker.

Am i right in assuming that a composite image is either there 100% or not, i.e. unlike RF which can suffer from distortion if not tuned correctly. (E.g. if i haven't soldered one of the four wires correctly.....on that subject, is there a way to test the connections with multimeter on the screen end, as i've already put hot glue over the red and black wires (5v and ground......if either wasn't correctly soldered then would the screen just not come on??)

Thanks
What you describe I believe other people refer to as "phasing". It means your power circuit is dirty. You either need to remove the power regulator entirely , or cut its output and bypass it. The how varies depending on which model of driver board you have.
Thanks for the reply. I think i have Variant 7. Fingers crossed just putting a jumper wire from the regulator should do it (think its VCC to red)
Did you try this? I have v7 and have phasing, wondered if you successfully modded it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:12 pm

DarrylUK wrote:
Treguard wrote:
chaosratt wrote:
What you describe I believe other people refer to as "phasing". It means your power circuit is dirty. You either need to remove the power regulator entirely , or cut its output and bypass it. The how varies depending on which model of driver board you have.
Thanks for the reply. I think i have Variant 7. Fingers crossed just putting a jumper wire from the regulator should do it (think its VCC to red)
Did you try this? I have v7 and have phasing, wondered if you successfully modded it.
The voltage regulator on mine is in the same place as the one in RxBrad post on page 34. I stupidly looked at the wrong photo at first...just as well i didnt solder to that other chip!

I promise it honestly was an absolute b@tch to solder. The red power wire kept on coming away when the other wire to the VR stayed down.
After grtting it on, use plenty of hotglue to keep it in place (and let it dry).
I've also connected the +5v to pin 2 and ground to pin 6 on the gpio header since i need the test pads for my usb hub.

Phasing has now gone after a quick 5 minute test, but i havent been able to do a stress test with it yet.

DarrylUK

Post by DarrylUK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:02 pm

Treguard wrote:
DarrylUK wrote:
Treguard wrote:
The voltage regulator on mine is in the same place as the one in RxBrad post on page 34. I stupidly looked at the wrong photo at first...just as well i didnt solder to that other chip!

I promise it honestly was an absolute b@tch to solder. The red power wire kept on coming away when the other wire to the VR stayed down.
After grtting it on, use plenty of hotglue to keep it in place (and let it dry).
I've also connected the +5v to pin 2 and ground to pin 6 on the gpio header since i need the test pads for my usb hub.

Phasing has now gone after a quick 5 minute test, but i havent been able to do a stress test with it yet.
Are you able to post a picture?

jsawhite

Post by jsawhite » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:17 am

AbeEstrada wrote:This is the "BW 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile" from Amazon sold by: ATian Direct

The board is bigger than the screen and looks like there's no way I can trim the board without losing some components.
FullSizeRender2.jpg
FullSizeRender2.jpg (285.35 KiB) Viewed 9006 times
I have this board and was able to make it work with some trimming, regulator removal, and one trace to re-route (although I'm not sure if it's critical or not yet). I'll take some pics and upload this evening when I get home.

Domokun

Post by Domokun » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi. First time posting and just wanted to say this forum has been a huge help. Hope this is the right section to ask but having trouble getting a picture on my display . The display works with my ps2 plugged into the rca and a 5v psu but when i connect to the pi0 i dont get and image even with a jumper wire. So hooked up a 12v stepup pololu (got rid of the 5v jump wire) getting 12v at the display but still no image. Disconected everything and reconected the original plug to see if i fried anything and it still works on the ps2.is there something in config.txt i should be changing?? Any help would be much appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/C2ALyT4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ezfM9VS.jpg

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Domokun wrote:Hi. First time posting and just wanted to say this forum has been a huge help. Hope this is the right section to ask but having trouble getting a picture on my display . The display works with my ps2 plugged into the rca and a 5v psu but when i connect to the pi0 i dont get and image even with a jumper wire. So hooked up a 12v stepup pololu (got rid of the 5v jump wire) getting 12v at the display but still no image. Disconected everything and reconected the original plug to see if i fried anything and it still works on the ps2.is there something in config.txt i should be changing?? Any help would be much appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/C2ALyT4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ezfM9VS.jpg
You should connect one, or the other, of the yellow/white wires, not both at once. And you also need to connect the ground there too. Connect a yellow or white to the one with 'TV' underneath it, and to the pin next to it, the ground wire.

Guide here:

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=958

Domokun

Post by Domokun » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Zero wrote: You should connect one, or the other, of the yellow/white wires, not both at once. And you also need to connect the ground there too.
The white wire is ground just spliced it in before the display connecter

Zero

Post by Zero » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:23 am

Well if the white is ground you've still soldered it to the wrong pin.

Domokun

Post by Domokun » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:44 am

Zero wrote:Well if the white is ground you've still soldered it to the wrong pin.
Yup that was it haha thanx. Feel a bit stupid after spending 3 hours or so trying to figure it out only for it to be 2 mixed wires. :D