First GBZ. Newbie

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Razole

First GBZ. Newbie

Post by Razole » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi!

Sorry for a post that's probably been posted many times but I'm going blind browsing the forum :?

Looking too build a GBZ and looking for tips where to get at least most parts from one place as I have to pay 25% tax on everything(also on delivery fee) that goes inn to the country. so could be much more expensive than necessary

a little list of parts to start with for a newbie would also be very much appreciated :)

and yes I can solder :)

hoping someone can point me inn the right direction!

rodocop

Re: First GBZ. Newbie

Post by rodocop » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Best bet would be to get a kite sword lite when he opens preorders. (Or the regular sword if you want cm3, instead of a pi zero.)

All you need to buy is a shell, buttons, etc... And a battery. Also a pi zero if doing a lite. The regular sword includes a cm3.

Check here for more information:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9534

Preorders are closed now. But you can join the mailing list. Wait times are a little long but his kits are very easy, and the quality is amazing.

If you opt to buy parts individually, you'd likely need to make some orders from eBay, Amazon, Adafruit, AliExpress etc...probably won't find one seller who has all the parts.

millski

Re: First GBZ. Newbie

Post by millski » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 am

What @rodocop said.

• Kite Circuit Sword from his thread.
• If getting a CS lite you’ll need a Raspberry Pi Zero too - I recommend a Zero W (with WiFi).
• Gameboy DMG shell.
• DMG buttons (either 2 sets or some sellers have gbz, gameboy zero, packs with 4 buttons).
• DMG silicons (as with the buttons you might need 2 sets).
• 3D printed parts - button wells, screen mount, joystick mount, power switch mount. Hoolyhoos screen mount is great, holds the screen, buttons and joystick all in one. You don’t need a power board mount but I prefer it to glue. If you have access to a 3D printer there are designs on the forums and Thingiverse you can use.
• GBZ glass screen protector / 3mm border.
• Back buttons - too many options here, you’ll have to look in the forums for your personal choice. Kites board comes with a back button board you can solder tactile switches to or you can use more DMG buttons and silicons for a 2 button layout but you’ll want some 3D printed button wells or mounts for that. Alternatively there are some kits that contain everything you need in the selling forum.
• A stepped drill bit that will cut at 11mm.
• A drill.
• A sharp knife - scalpel is my preference.
• Gameboy cartridge shell.
• Battery (125054 for a circuit sword - there are some options in the selling forum but I get mine from AliExpress because of shipping batteries).
• JST 2.0 connector for the battery.
• MicroSD card - whatever size you think you’ll need. I fit everything on a 64Gb and I’m really greedy with roms.
• Charging cable - USB-C for circuit sword, USB-micro for cs lite.

I’ve probably missed something. Where you get it all from is down to you though, I don’t know of anyone who’s selling everything you need in one go.