First GBZ Build - Pocket Adventures Parts

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Gob8484

First GBZ Build - Pocket Adventures Parts

Post by Gob8484 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:04 am

I am working on my first Gameboy Zero. I have done a couple Raspberry Pi emulation boxes (3b+ and 4) but this is my first project ever with soldering. I got my components from Pocket Adventures and I am trying to plan out everything. Unfortunately, while I really like the parts, the documentation isn't great and I'm kinda floundering on whether or not I'm thinking this through correctly.

I want to put 4 buttons on the back (attached picture on placement). I am also using the R1/C connection for the C button on the front and will set it up as a hotkey, so I am routing R1 to an unused GPIO pin 18. I believe this will work, if not I believe I could use pin 7 or 13.

If someone could tell me if I'm on the right track, I'd appreciate it. Sorry about the goofy colors on the pictures, it stood out on my phone, but my not look as good posted here.
Attachments
IMG_20200808_011343451~2.jpg
IMG_20200808_011343451~2.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3610 times
IMG_20200808_010322085~2.jpg
IMG_20200808_010322085~2.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3610 times
IMG_20200808_003048010~5.jpg
IMG_20200808_003048010~5.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 3610 times
IMG_20200808_012445136.jpg
IMG_20200808_012445136.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 3610 times

infinitLoop

Re: First GBZ Build - Pocket Adventures Parts

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:25 am

Gob8484 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:04 am
If someone could tell me if I'm on the right track, I'd appreciate it. Sorry about the goofy colors on the pictures, it stood out on my phone, but my not look as good posted here.
yep - looks like you are doing it right. you don't need the 5v power to the button board (theres nothing powered on there - that connection is in case you need an amp, but there is already one on the other board - just wire the buttons and the sound). you will also need to solve for the display (i would recommend a composite one if you want to avoid issues trying to get the spi display working).

Gob8484

Post by Gob8484 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Thank you for the reply! I realized that the power connection was not needed. Sorry I didn't reply sooner as I'm part of the Iowa derecho destruction that happened on the 10th, just got power back yesterday so this soldering project was put on hold.

I'm hoping the SPI screen I got will work, I followed the instructions that were on Pocket Adventures for setting it up.

I got ahead of myself on soldering the GPIO assist board and the pi zero together and had to undo that last night. Pi still works after testing. Need to clean up the assist board and then clean all the extra flux off them then try again. If I'm soldering GPIO through-holes should I be using header pins or can I just use solder (watched a bit of Helder's soldering a minty pi video but he's soldering to pads instead of another through hole.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Gob8484 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 pm
Thank you for the reply! I realized that the power connection was not needed. Sorry I didn't reply sooner as I'm part of the Iowa derecho destruction that happened on the 10th, just got power back yesterday so this soldering project was put on hold.

I'm hoping the SPI screen I got will work, I followed the instructions that were on Pocket Adventures for setting it up.

I got ahead of myself on soldering the GPIO assist board and the pi zero together and had to undo that last night. Pi still works after testing. Need to clean up the assist board and then clean all the extra flux off them then try again. If I'm soldering GPIO through-holes should I be using header pins or can I just use solder (watched a bit of Helder's soldering a minty pi video but he's soldering to pads instead of another through hole.
i hope you're safe and sound now!

you don't need header pins for it. i usually used some screws and nuts to line up the boards, or you can screw them into the bracket, to line them up. do the usb ones first, and check that you haven't bridged it, since that's the easiest thing to mess up. then just do one side (the circled ones are the only required ones), and flip it over and check the other side, and add a little solder or just heat it up to flow it, and that should do it. you don't need a lot of solder, so its better to under do it, then over do it and have to try and get it apart again.

Gob8484

Post by Gob8484 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:55 pm

It's soldered together and the screen works, played a bit of SMB 3. I already screwed up the USB pads on the pi so I'm going to be plugging a micro USB into the port and soldering the leads to the USB hub on the assist board. The owner over at pocket adventures said this should work.

I am concerned about the pi not booting all the way when powered by the barrel jack. It reboots right after the retro pie splash screen goes up instead of running through the final boot list and starting emulation station. I'm hoping it's because I have not hooked the battery up to it yet. It boots without issue when I plug power into the pi directly.

Thanks for the concern, my family and I are safe but there's damage to our house and it will take a long time to get it repaired because everyone is getting stuff repaired. Being in the worst hit city is not fun. I just want my internet back.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:47 pm

yes, that's normal. it needs the battery to operate. it can't only run off the charging port, or it tends not to have enough current. the battery powers the pi and other components, and the barrel jack recharges the battery.

seancurtis

Post by seancurtis » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 pm

It needs the battery to operate.