PSA: Battery Safety

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
day

Re: PSA: Battery Safety

Post by day » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:50 pm

also, isn't mandatory to be able to power on any electronic devices when going to the US ? like even laptop, you must check that you don't have low battery and stuff ? so I guess they would ask you to turn on the gbz as well, no ?

MaxPayne

Post by MaxPayne » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:23 pm

I recently bought https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-po ... 0.0.59rDaW but I can't really tell if it comes with Over Charge Protection. Can anyone help please?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 am

Is a built in protection circuit (pcm) board the same thing?

jostie94

Post by jostie94 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 am

I just bought this battery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mbuynow-4800mA ... B00JUI5WNI
i'ts a samsung cell phone battery with no protective circuit.

can i use this battery safely with a powerboost 1000c? or do i need a lithium ion battery Over-charge protection circuit?
somthing like this: http://www.batteryspace.com/PCB-for-3.7 ... limit.aspx
my GBZ builds:
1) http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3197
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:35 am

A cased phone battery like that should have a protection board inside its case

bladerunner

Post by bladerunner » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Bought the Adafruit battery and it sat for a couple of weeks in its packaging. Today I finished my build and went to put the battery and it's covered in a clear fluid like something leaked. Should I replace the battery or would wiping it off suffice?

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 am

bladerunner wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm
Bought the Adafruit battery and it sat for a couple of weeks in its packaging. Today I finished my build and went to put the battery and it's covered in a clear fluid like something leaked. Should I replace the battery or would wiping it off suffice?
That doesn't sound good.
Can you get a picture?

AAMinistry

Post by AAMinistry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am

Okay so this is the only thing that is really worrying me about my upcoming GBZ build.

Do people remove and store their LiPo packs when not in use and if so, what kind of container do you use? I read on an RC site that the best way to store them is with 60-80% charge, is this the case? Also they say to never use a battery that's still warm from charging and never charge a battery that's warm from use (assuming they mean always let it cool before recharging). Any thoughts?

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 am

AAMinistry wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am
Okay so this is the only thing that is really worrying me about my upcoming GBZ build.

Do people remove and store their LiPo packs when not in use and if so, what kind of container do you use? I read on an RC site that the best way to store them is with 60-80% charge, is this the case? Also they say to never use a battery that's still warm from charging and never charge a battery that's warm from use (assuming they mean always let it cool before recharging). Any thoughts?
it's no different to anything else that uses a LiPo in your possession: cell phone, MP3 player, wireless headset etc. you don't remove the battery from them when not in use.
the RC bunch are a bit different as they are generally unprotected cells because of their high-drain use case and need extra caution and handling.
yes, leaving them at 60-80% is a good idea to keep them form accidentally dropping to below minimum voltage if out of use for a long time.

AAMinistry

Post by AAMinistry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:57 am

abrugsch wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 am
AAMinistry wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am

it's no different to anything else that uses a LiPo in your possession: cell phone, MP3 player, wireless headset etc. you don't remove the battery from them when not in use.
the RC bunch are a bit different as they are generally unprotected cells because of their high-drain use case and need extra caution and handling.
yes, leaving them at 60-80% is a good idea to keep them form accidentally dropping to below minimum voltage if out of use for a long time.
Thanks for the reply. This sets my mind at ease a bit more. Having read through the forums even more thoroughly I think I am more confident about the safety features I can put in now. Still good to know all this and be cautious.