PSA: Battery Safety

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dirtybeagles

Re: PSA: Battery Safety

Post by dirtybeagles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:24 am

a3k4 wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:I am taking my portable power brick that will connect to my GBPi and play off that external battery.
So does that mean the Powerboost can power the device via USB without having a battery attached?
Yes, you need a separate connection. See here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30 or here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=30

larsen2011

Post by larsen2011 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 am

I'm planning to use the original charger port with an adapter and connect this only to the Powerboost while adding a USB port to helder's AIO PCB for data, without the powerlines.

If I use the connectors like you did, I could take out the LiPo but still use external power as it goes directly to the Powerboost, correct?

gargoyle67

Post by gargoyle67 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:00 am

Nice thread, I got these through today :)
Don't know if there really what they say on the tin, but they were cheap enough :arrow:

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
a3k4 wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:I am taking my portable power brick that will connect to my GBPi and play off that external battery.
So does that mean the Powerboost can power the device via USB without having a battery attached?
Yes, you need a separate connection. See here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30 or here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=30
Thanks! What I can't entirely tell is how you have both the battery's JST/USB and the external power JST/USB hooked up at the same time. Do you have to switch out which one is connected? I'm wondering if maybe I should do the extended JST connector to the battery compartment like you did, and then connect the USB/JST through that when I need it.

Here's a diagram of what I'm thinking
Power setup.png
Power setup.png (41 KiB) Viewed 22107 times
My wiring diagrams and schematics for Helder's boards and graceful shutdowns.

Flowlance

Post by Flowlance » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Fleder wrote:
Flowlance wrote:Great thread!
dirtybeagles wrote: 4. Never leave your battery connected to your powerboot unattended or over night.
Wait, I have to open my GBZ after every usage and disconnect the battery from the powerboost? :o
Or just use a SPST Switch to disconnect it.
I thought the powerboost was the protection here. As long as I flip the power switch and trigger the enable pin on the powerboost, there won't be any power in the rest of the build right?
The switch you mentioned, is that a regular toggle switch?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:32 am

Flowlance wrote:I thought the powerboost was the protection here. As long as I flip the power switch and trigger the enable pin on the powerboost, there won't be any power in the rest of the build right?
Everything except for the PowerBoost will be without power, but physically the battery is still attached.
Which is a valid concern for some users.

A Single Pole Single Throw switch physically disconnects the battery if you wired it between the V+ of the Battery and the PowerBoost.
This way you could just shut it down via gracefully shutdown and cut the connection from the battery to the PB afterwards.
No charging if the switch cuts the connection, though.

You will need a SPST Switch that can withstand the mAh you feed to the PowerBoost. Most small switches,
like the original Power Switch of the DMG-01, officially only withstand 0,5A.

Just ditching this should not cause you any trouble, it is just a thing that some users, me included, have, because we are really careful in terms of batteries and fires and stuff :)

Flowlance

Post by Flowlance » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 am

Fleder wrote:
Flowlance wrote:I thought the powerboost was the protection here. As long as I flip the power switch and trigger the enable pin on the powerboost, there won't be any power in the rest of the build right?
Everything except for the PowerBoost will be without power, but physically the battery is still attached.
Which is a valid concern for some users.

A Single Pole Single Throw switch physically disconnects the battery if you wired it between the V+ of the Battery and the PowerBoost.
This way you could just shut it down via gracefully shutdown and cut the connection from the battery to the PB afterwards.
No charging if the switch cuts the connection, though.

You will need a SPST Switch that can withstand the mAh you feed to the PowerBoost. Most small switches,
like the original Power Switch of the DMG-01, officially only withstand 0,5A.

Just ditching this should not cause you any trouble, it is just a thing that some users, me included, have, because we are really careful in terms of batteries and fires and stuff :)
Ah great, thanks! I will find a way to extend the battery input from the powerboost down to the battery compartment, and have a switch in there somewhere :) Safety first :D

Kalen

Post by Kalen » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:14 am

I got some off eBay from a guy making them for RC airplanes
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-07-23-08-09-16.png
Screenshot_2016-07-23-08-09-16.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 22044 times

Spleen21

Post by Spleen21 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:35 am

So, what does everyone think?

Id like to try and preserve and use the original battery compartment with some of these batteries
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361370008315

My plan was to modify the battery terminals slightly so that the batteries are all inserted up the same way instead of alternating. The positives would all be connected together and the negatives would all be connected together. Essentially, all 4 batteries in parallel would make up 1x 3.7v cell. It would then pass through a 1 cell protection circuit and disconnect switch before connecting to the powerboost.

With the well known finnicky traits of lithium batteries, is this a really dumb idea? A fire bomb waiting to happen? I really like the idea of having a functional, original(ish), rechargeable, AA battery bay.

Thoughts?

day

Post by day » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 am

Spleen21 wrote:So, what does everyone think?

Id like to try and preserve and use the original battery compartment with some of these batteries
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361370008315

My plan was to modify the battery terminals slightly so that the batteries are all inserted up the same way instead of alternating. The positives would all be connected together and the negatives would all be connected together. Essentially, all 4 batteries in parallel would make up 1x 3.7v cell. It would then pass through a 1 cell protection circuit and disconnect switch before connecting to the powerboost.

With the well known finnicky traits of lithium batteries, is this a really dumb idea? A fire bomb waiting to happen? I really like the idea of having a functional, original(ish), rechargeable, AA battery bay.

Thoughts?
love it, good size, good mAh, all connected as such http://imgur.com/a/C8a5O and going to a protection circuit like that one http://www.ebay.com/itm/221512994763 then add a SPDT to also choose using a powerbank, and link to powerboost. btw, anyone knows the name of the blue thing to cover the batteries in a nice way ?

that would en in a clean way where you could easily remove the batteries that would look like normal AAs, so you can flight with them I ghuess.

but I don't get your question (I am not expert in all these batteries chemistry), why would using these lithium batteries be far more risky than the flat one ?