[Noob question] Which wires to use?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
eludebear

[Noob question] Which wires to use?

Post by eludebear » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm

This is my first time ever for doing something like this sorry for a dumb question. I did try checking the forums and it said to look at the wiki but I didn't see any wire selections under the hardware.

I purchased some "Jumper wires" from microcenter and was wonder if those are acceptable to use? I also read on here cutting up an Ethernet cable and using those wires will work.

Attached is a picture of both the ones i purchased on the left and the cut Ethernet cable on the right which seems thicker.
Attachments
20160725_200423.jpg
20160725_200423.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 6172 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: [Noob question] Which wires to use?

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:20 am

You can use either one but you need cut the heads of the jumper wires. Be sure to tin the wires (google it) first before trying to solder them to anything.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ChunkeeMunkee

Post by ChunkeeMunkee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:14 am

eludebear wrote:This is my first time ever for doing something like this sorry for a dumb question
Thank you for asking this! I too am pretty much a n00b at all this, but can't wait to get started on my own GB0!

Cheers for the tips Helder. I think I'll get myself a bundle of jumper wires for the main bulk of the wiring. Just bear in mind, it's been said a few times that you'll need a thicker gauge wire to carry any power loads (Wermy's black and red wires in his tutorials)

Good luck with your build Eludebear!

Camble

Post by Camble » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 am

Your CAT5 cable is probably 24AWG. It could be different, but will say on the cores' insulation.

I'd use that for power and the thinner jumper wires for the rest.

evil_BaD_one

Post by evil_BaD_one » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 pm

I saw a suggestion somewhere in the forum, can't remember where, to use the wire from a broken computer power supply. It's stranded wire so it's flexible, cat5 is solid so it has less give. If you don't have one, ask your company's IT staff if they can get one for you.

ChunkeeMunkee

Post by ChunkeeMunkee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:01 pm

evil_BaD_one wrote:use the wire from a broken computer power supply.
I actually had the exact same idea a couple of days ago, and gave an old 385w PSU a haircut. The wires do seem surprisingly stiff though. I'll give them a try for my power lines when I get to that stage of my build, but I'm not sure whether they may be a little too stiff to snake around in my DMG shell?

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:43 am

@evil_BaD_one I'm guessing most people don't have a drum of CAT5 lying around and are probably hacking up a patch lead, which will be stranded anyway. Little bit twisty though.