USB 3.0 Hub Wiring

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
hykote

USB 3.0 Hub Wiring

Post by hykote » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking at wiring up my USB hub however when I've opened it up it's look slightly different to the standard hubs I've been seeing in the videos and on this board.

The USB hub is this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

It has this port with 4 extra wires and points on each usb. A bit of looking around shows I have found this showing this what points are what:
http://www.pinout.net/connectors/USB3.0 ... torial.jpg

Pics:

Any guidance would be appreciated! Cheers.

LimberEight

Re: USB 3.0 Hub Wiring

Post by LimberEight » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:54 pm

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with the previous versions, so you should be OK. I don't have much experience with USB 3.0, so I'll give you my best guess. Older versions of USB only used the black, green, white and red wires. So I'd see if the hub functions with only those wires connected.

The first thing I would do is plug it into your pi, just to test it. Plug a keyboard or whatever you have into the hub and see if the pi picks it up.

If all goes well, unplug the hub from the pi, and desolder or cut the yellow, blue, purple and orange wire from the hub's PCB. Tape each wire up individualy to make sure they don't short.

Plug the hub back into the pi, test it again with just the black, green, white and red wires connected. Hopefully if all goes well, it should work.

Again, this is only a guess, but it's what I would do.

Daniel_N

Re: USB 3.0 Hub Wiring

Post by Daniel_N » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:21 am

I would cut the cable (or desolder, but remember which color is which pin!) and check with a multimeter which 4 contacts of the plug goes to which color.