Help with BW screens and RPi0

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
bemn67

Help with BW screens and RPi0

Post by bemn67 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Hey guys, I have to BW screens that I cannot get to work with my RPi0. I can get them displaying stuff with a 9V DC adapter connected to an outlet but whenever I try to turn it on connected to my Pi, nothing happens. I looked at the forums and tried to display without any modifications, and with a wire connecting the VCC pin to the third pin on the IC chip but nothing has worked. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben

bemn67

Re: Help with BW screens and RPi0

Post by bemn67 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 pm

I just tried turning on the Pi with the DC 9V power input instead of the Pi's power but still had the video wires soldered on the display, the picture showed up which told me that the display will not run off 5V without modification. I don't know how to modify it though because after trying both things from the wiki, nothing worked.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:05 am

Hello. Without any proper pictures, we can't help you.
First you have to know which screen you exactly have.
Post a (good quality) picture of the board and it's ICs (those with 8 legs).

You did try the screen before to make sure it worked with more than 5v, right?
It still does after you modified it?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:34 am

There seems to be a few variations of the soic8 chip but we need photos to know which one you have. Most of the time you can simply solder 2 pins right next to each other together and skip jumper wires.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

bemn67

Post by bemn67 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 am

Here are the pictures, I tried to get a good picture of the IC but it didn't work out well so I will type out what it says.

Code: Select all

Pm25LQ512   BE1551    18TG
Attachments
IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4442.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 10851 times
IMG_4441.JPG
IMG_4441.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 10851 times
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 10851 times
IMG_4428.JPG
IMG_4428.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 10851 times

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 pm

bemn67 wrote:Here are the pictures, I tried to get a good picture of the IC but it didn't work out well so I will type out what it says.

Pm25LQ512   BE1551    18TG
Im still trying to troubleshoot some issues I have with my screen, but in my research I found this
http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title ... te_Display.

Yours seems like it may be very similar to the Version 1 of the board and may be jumpered to the wrong pin.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (382.11 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
Hope this helps...

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Sorry to double post but a Google search for the IC data sheet turned up this http://www.advanced-monolithic.com/pdf/ds1117.pdf.
I'm still not good at reading data sheets so I couldn't tell you exactly which pin to jumper but it's a voltage regulator and the SOT looks similar to yours.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:10 am

What you wrote down a few posts up is not what's in that data sheet. You linked a data sheet of the voltage regulator, we need the small black 8pin chip's datasheet.

It turn's out that is a flash memory chip so that's no good but this small chip I put a square around will likely be the proper chip.
Attachments
IMG_4441.JPG
IMG_4441.JPG (2.82 MiB) Viewed 10805 times
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

bemn67

Post by bemn67 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Helder wrote:What you wrote down a few posts up is not what's in that data sheet. You linked a data sheet of the voltage regulator, we need the small black 8pin chip's datasheet.

It turn's out that is a flash memory chip so that's no good but this small chip I put a square around will likely be the proper chip.
Here is a picture of the chip. I think it says

LTH S3319F 
but I'm not totally sure so you guys can help me figure out what it says. Thanks everyone!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 10791 times

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:45 pm

I have to insist that you need to jumper to the AMS1117 chip. If you look closely at the Wiki link I sent, and scroll down to the bottom to the V1 Board picture, the power is wired to that chip that's on your board. The data sheet I sent the link to has the SOIC-8 and SOT-223 information for the pins. Try wiring the 5V to pin 1, as it's shown on the wiki picture.

If that doesn't work, you can also try powering it using Pin 1 on your RPi to Pin 2 on the chip. I believe it outputs to 3.3V, based on the info printed on the chip. According to the data sheet, Pin 2 on the SOT has an Vout of 3.3V. I have 2 working GB0 powering the displays using the 3.3V, so give it a shot.

On the other hand, I don't know what condition your board is in, if you've tried wiring it to different chips. It may already be fried :cry: