Potential fix for USB pad problems

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Justblair

Re: Potential fix for USB pad problems

Post by Justblair » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:28 am

https://gist.github.com/gbaman/975e2db1 ... e45e8fd40a

Here are the instructions that I followed (I think)

Justblair

Post by Justblair » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:14 pm

FYI

I dont think that your fix was what I needed... I finally got mine working, but the problem was at the Arduino Micro side. I bought a cheepo chinese clone, never really had much of a problem with them before.

On the Arduino there are pads marked J1. They should be bridged if the micro is a 5v 16mhz model, unbridged if it is a 3.3v 8mhz model.

My clone did not have them bridged. My 5V power was connected via the usb cable the voltage from the Rpi was 5v on the input side of the 3.3v regulator on the micro and 5v on the output side of the micro (via vcc). This did not seem to cause any issues, though I am sure that the 3.3v regulator on the micro was no doubt not too happy.

When the pads were being used, the micros 3.3 voltage regulator had 5v on the output but was floating on the input and on the enable pin. This clearly was not good. The micro did not power up.

I did try your suggestion. and I have not reverted from it, so my experience does not void yours, but it appears it was unrelated to yours

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:23 am

This should be a sticky post IMO.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:25 pm

fcib wrote:Any downsides on soldering the ID pin with ground?
Not that I know of.

winnston84

Post by winnston84 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 pm

This should be stickied/added into a guide of known issues/resolutions.

Once I soldered the two connectors, my USB hub worked perfectly. :D

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Stickyed for all to see.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Is this still an issue if you solder to the back pads on the teensy rather than use the USB hub? Just curious as Wermy didn't use the hub on Part 6

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Lphillimore wrote:Is this still an issue if you solder to the back pads on the teensy rather than use the USB hub?
I honestly have no idea. I would think this is a fix you would do if you have a problem, not really an issue everyone has to fix right now, since some people don't have it.
Lphillimore wrote:Just curious as Wermy didn't use the hub on Part 6
but I thought Wermy used the hub...?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:56 pm

@PotaTox Yeah fair call - useful to know though if you do run into problems. Ill be soldering to the pads so will see what results it brings.

As for the hub, USB I actually meant the female micro USB on the teensy as opposed to the pads underside of the teensy.

Of course, he used a USB hub as part of the build :D

Thanks for the find.

inches

Post by inches » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 pm

For the Pi, its an USB OTG port. Did you plug the hub into the OTG cable from a Pi0 kit or straight in? Or is it an OTG compatible hub of some nature? I'm not sure if any USB would work if its not OTG compatible.
Your next build should include a Compute Module 3! Sign-up to be notified about the CeMu Partner Pre-Order:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 1-5] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3003

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 6+] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00&p=33219

My guide to Soldering kits http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3024