Any other Custom Circuits/PCBs you guys need

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
prerunnerseth

Any other Custom Circuits/PCBs you guys need

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri May 13, 2016 6:33 pm

So, I'm already getting the cart PCBs with the Micro SD card slot on it and working on a power path controller that will shut down the game boy zero properly. Are there any other PCBs or Circuits that would help folks make this or other projects easier or add more features?

I'm an electronics engineer for a power IC company. I do PCB layout as part of my job and have full versions of 3 major Layout software. I can make just about any board from scratch.

dboSS

Re: Any other Custom Circuits/PCBs you guys need

Post by dboSS » Fri May 13, 2016 7:28 pm

How about sound board that enable adjust volume via wheel control, 3.5 headphone jack?

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:33 pm

dboSS wrote:How about sound board that enable adjust volume via wheel control, 3.5 headphone jack?
That sounds like a very good idea. Also the power shutoff sounds good too

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri May 13, 2016 7:49 pm

I think a cartridge board, audio board, and shutoff board with all the bells and whistles would be amazing. Incredibly newbie friendly and easy to assemble.

If all of those became plug and play level compared to what we're doing now, i could easily find myself building a couple extra GBZs as gifts for people with a fraction of the time and effort of the first one.

chiz

Post by chiz » Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 pm

dboSS wrote:How about sound board that enable adjust volume via wheel control, 3.5 headphone jack?
hmmm Actually, there's already a similar product available for this.

Probably something that doesn't exist yet is a USB audio soundboard with built-in amplifier, with a disc pot to adjust the volume with solder leads for a 3.5mm audio jack (with disconnect feature), speaker out and USB in. Obviously it will need to have the USB chip for the RPi (or any system for that matter) to recognize the board as a USB device.

I'm proposing USB audio as input because the RPi is known to produce low quality audio via PWM. USB makes it somehow audiophile-level quality. This may be too much, I know, but I don't think there's anything similar to this yet.

uke

Post by uke » Sat May 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Rod2D2 wrote:
That sounds like a very good idea. Also the power shutoff sounds good too
I agree!

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat May 14, 2016 5:05 pm

chiz wrote:I'm proposing USB audio as input because the RPi is known to produce low quality audio via PWM. USB makes it somehow audiophile-level quality. This may be too much, I know, but I don't think there's anything similar to this yet.
I like where this is going.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Sat May 14, 2016 10:41 pm

chiz wrote:I'm proposing USB audio as input because the RPi is known to produce low quality audio via PWM. USB makes it somehow audiophile-level quality. This may be too much, I know, but I don't think there's anything similar to this yet.
I would love to see something like that - it would probably make the build better and even easier for newbies. :D

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Mon May 16, 2016 10:12 am

crispy_tofu wrote:
I would love to see something like that - it would probably make the build better and even easier for newbies. :D
I'll research this. Right now focusing on the powerpath controller. This will be next on the list. so you guys want a board that manages all the audio, like volume wheel, headphone jack, and usb sound card?

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Mon May 16, 2016 10:20 am

prerunnerseth wrote:so you guys want a board that manages all the audio, like volume wheel, headphone jack, and usb sound card?
YES PLEASE!!! So much work and confusion saved! Would buy one immediately.