BW screen ver 7 board question

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Frandsen

BW screen ver 7 board question

Post by Frandsen » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi all :-)
Maybe a silly question, but I ask anyway :-)
I'm building a Gameboy with a Pizero.
I have a BW screen with the version 7 board. My screen works out of the box with 5V. I've seen someone mod the same board with a wire, but why if it works on 5V out of the box?
Does it give a better picture on screen when it's been modded though it already works at 5V?. I have not wanted to make a mod on my screen, now it works at 5V and the picture looks okey. However noticed in one game or maybe two, that the graphic "bleed" a little in some pixels, is it normal with the BW screen? or will it disappear if I do a wire mod ?.
This is my first build do im not sure and I have not seen others so I can compare how it looks on screen.

Hope a lot someone can tell/help if I need or not need to do something with it now it Works allready on 5V

Best Regards
Frandsen

Armstrs

Re: BW screen ver 7 board question

Post by Armstrs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:05 pm

My v7 screen worked out of the box but there was some slight flickering. I did not remove the chip though, I just added the jumper wire and no more screen flicker. I don't know if it made any other improvements.

Frandsen

Post by Frandsen » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks a lot for reply to my post :-)

How bad was this flickering ?
Some people talks about the screens do these things, but I have not seen examples on how it looked or how bad it is.

Dont think mine does it, when I not have seen examples on how it might look, have just hoped it looked better when run games or in emulation station.

Before I put in my build I tried connect it to my old PS2 and put a movie on, it looked better I think.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:35 pm

Frandsen wrote:How bad was this flickering ?
Some people talks about the screens do these things, but I have not seen examples on how it looked or how bad it is.
For me it was like a phasing, an area of brighter pixels rolling up the screen, followed by a darker area. I can't really remember exactly how it looked though, but it did not deter from gameplay, it was just a minor nuisance.