USB Audio, switching between speaker and jack

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Kurai Kitsune

USB Audio, switching between speaker and jack

Post by Kurai Kitsune » Sat May 14, 2016 5:36 am

Hey all.
So i've already put in an old thread about how I wired a cheap USB sound card up to a TRRS jack for smartphone headsets (just in case mic was needed, meh. "hey you pikachu?").
What i'm trying to work out now is how to wire in a speaker and have it switch between the 2.
So far i've been able to get the speaker working by wiring the "Sparkfun" mono amp to the left channel and ground contacts. Then both work at once, but of course thats not what we want.
Does anyone have ideas on this?

Product page here - It has a function that shuts down the board based on wiring and signal, maybe this can be used to power the speaker off when headphones are in use?

Last edited by Kurai Kitsune on Sun May 15, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurai Kitsune

Re: USB Audio, switching between speaker and jack

Post by Kurai Kitsune » Sat May 14, 2016 6:19 am

Anybody know what these could be used for? I already tried hooking them up to the Amp, no dice.

I've tried bridging the "S" contact on this board to various things, it seems to cut the power out when bridging the ground to the power source as shown.
I'm wondering if i can make this work by using the mic pins, based on the fact that the mic will hardly be used, if ever.
What i dont know is if this will have a detrimental effect on the battery, maybe having it go to ground is okay?
Last edited by Kurai Kitsune on Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurai Kitsune

Post by Kurai Kitsune » Sun May 15, 2016 8:24 am

For the moment a backup idea i've got is to fit a small switch on the side of the GB where I can switch the amplifier on and off manually. Seems to be the only viable way to do it with my current setup.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 am

I've wondered about this myself for years. Apparently the common way is via a special "switch contact connector" built into some stereo jacks. See the 3rd answer down here for an image: http://www.instructables.com/answers/Ho ... -output-o/ I don't know if this is the kind of jack that the stock GB uses...seems like the simplest way. wermy makes a point of saying that his does cancel the speader when he plugs in the headphone but I haven't seen a description of how that was done, yet.

If the jacks on that USB card don't have that kind of switch you'll have to figure out some other way to do it...

chiz

Post by chiz » Sun May 15, 2016 11:33 am

Take a look at this instructables discussion.

Basically, the idea is when an earphone plug is not inserted, the speaker circuit is closed which causes the speaker to produce audio. Once the earphone is connected, it cuts the circuit from the speaker and closes the earphone circuit, causing the audio to be routed to the earphone.