BW Screen full screen??

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Zacarycaine

BW Screen full screen??

Post by Zacarycaine » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:13 am

So I might already know the answer to this question but,

Is it possible to get the picture on the BW screen all the way to the edges?

By the edges i mean, all the way to the silver part around the screen?

I do realize that there is already a sort of black border around the screen where the "pixels" (or whatever) end.

So I'm guessing it is not possible, but i just thought i'd ask.

Jace055

Re: BW Screen full screen??

Post by Jace055 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:04 pm

The setting you are looking for is called overscan. You can change it in the raspi-config or use the following method.

SSH into your Pi
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Find the line
#disable_overscan=1

Change it to
disable_overscan=1

Some of the text may be cut off after this. But it's not bad. If you were the anal type that has to have everything just perfect, then you can play with the following lines in the config.txt
# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
# overscan_left=0
# overscan_right=0
# overscan_top=0
# overscan_bottom=0

Zacarycaine

Post by Zacarycaine » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:47 pm

Jace055 wrote:The setting you are looking for is called overscan. You can change it in the raspi-config or use the following method.

SSH into your Pi
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Find the line
#disable_overscan=1

Change it to
disable_overscan=1

Some of the text may be cut off after this. But it's not bad. If you were the anal type that has to have everything just perfect, then you can play with the following lines in the config.txt
# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
# overscan_left=0
# overscan_right=0
# overscan_top=0
# overscan_bottom=0

Okay I did that and it worked. Kind of.

I saw that it made the screen bigger and yes there were elements that were off the screen.

But the black border was still around it.

I hope we are talking about the same thing.

By black border I am talking about the pitch black area around the screen. I wanna get rid of that. I don't think it's possible though.

The black/grey part of the screen, where all of the pixles are, is fullly lit up with the picture.

On another note:
I changed the frame buffer to this
#framebuffer_width=320
#framebuffer_height=240

Is that correct?

One more thing, how would i change the font size? I can barely read anything in retro pi

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 am

A picture would help describe what you are looking to get rid of beyond the overscan.

The # symbol is a comment within the script. Anything that follows the # is ignored by the system so if you want to set the frame buffer, remove the hashtags.

As for the font size, Robots86 did a wonderful write up back in May on how to increase the font size within the stock theme. See it here. http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=159

You also have the option of changing out the default theme to something else with bigger fonts. RxBrad made one tailored to the Gameboy Zero here.
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 549#p17087

Zacarycaine

Post by Zacarycaine » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 am

Jace055 wrote:A picture would help describe what you are looking to get rid of beyond the overscan.

The # symbol is a comment within the script. Anything that follows the # is ignored by the system so if you want to set the frame buffer, remove the hashtags.

As for the font size, Robots86 did a wonderful write up back in May on how to increase the font size within the stock theme. See it here. http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=159

You also have the option of changing out the default theme to something else with bigger fonts. RxBrad made one tailored to the Gameboy Zero here.
Here's a picture. Overscan is on. It's those pitch black lines i wanna get rid of but the pixels don't even go that far.
Attachments
20161201_000705.jpg
20161201_000705.jpg (5.09 MiB) Viewed 5911 times

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Zacarycaine wrote:
Jace055 wrote:A picture would help describe what you are looking to get rid of beyond the overscan.

Here's a picture. Overscan is on. It's those pitch black lines i wanna get rid of but the pixels don't even go that far.
I know this is an older thread, but I saw you didn't have an answer. You likely already found out, but you can't remove that. I'd suggest getting a screen lens with a bezel to hide it if you don't want to see it.