Issue with banggood power boost

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
rodocop

Issue with banggood power boost

Post by rodocop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 am

Hi all, i'm having some issues with my banggood power boost. This is my second GB zero and I used the same power boost on my first project and it worked fine. Here is the issue:

I get a red light when hooked up to a micro USB cable, with the batter attached, but it does not seem to charge the battery or output power to the AIO board or my raspberry pi. I cannot get the blue load light to come on ever, or the green charged light.

Now my main concern is this, I planned to put the powerboost in a game cartridge, so I had to trim the corner, and I am worried that this may be the reason it isn't working properly. I did not have a battery before I made the cut so I was unable to test it beforehand. From looking back at a few old pics of the powerboost I see that the area I trimmed had two small pin holes on it, this is why I think this may be the issue.

I have attached some pictures to show the soldering (I have tried re soldering, and changing wires as well). I will be bringing home a volt meter from work today so I can use it to test, and I also plan to borrow a banggood power boost from a friend today as well, to try it out.

Anyone have any input? Let me know.
Attachments
20161206_072813.jpg
B+ and B- to the battery look fine to me
20161206_072813.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 5854 times
Last edited by rodocop on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sotasystems

Re: Issue with banggood power boost

Post by sotasystems » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 am

Are you sure you didn't accidentaly mix up B+ and B-?? Because - usualy is black and + is red, and in your photos it's exactly the other way round. :shock:

I'd also measure it with a multimeter to be 100 % certain it really is the right polarity.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 am

OH MY GOD.....hahahahahaha. I was doing this late last night, and clearly wasn't paying the most attention....That looks like the issue for sure, just needed someone to tell me how obvious it is. I'll swap those wires after work and hope it works, would that have caused any issues with the batter since I had it plugged in for a while.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:02 am

rodocop wrote:OH MY GOD.....hahahahahaha. I was doing this late last night, and clearly wasn't paying the most attention....That looks like the issue for sure, just needed someone to tell me how obvious it is. I'll swap those wires after work and hope it works, would that have caused any issues with the batter since I had it plugged in for a while.
Well, the powerboost luckily has integrated protection, but your battery might be totaly flat. You need to recharge it ;)
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:03 am

Good to know, I'll post an update later today, hopefully with news that everything works.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Well it's official. I was just a dummy. Wired the battery improperly. Wired it properly, now it works. Power to the AIO, everything is working as it should.