Help finding working Usb Hub ( Tried 4 from Aliexpress )

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
kaldoranne

Help finding working Usb Hub ( Tried 4 from Aliexpress )

Post by kaldoranne » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 am

Hi,

So far I've tried 4 usb hub from aliexpress and none of them work with the Raspberry Pi Zero.
Here is the list ( in order to update the Wiki ). None of them work at all (for keyboard, Usb controller, mouse ... )
[spoiler="List here"]Tried all of them
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Lov ... 85346.html
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 45283.html
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Simplest ... 27077.html
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-Sli ... 87614.html[/spoiler]
Then I would love your help to found one that work, cheap, and can be ship to Europe (France).
Did someone found one on EBay or what ever that work out ?
Even form aliexpress ? I've look around in the forum and just try to order some usb hub that looks like some that were working ... but they are not for me ( from china ).

Thanks for helping.

n.marek

Re: Help finding working Usb Hub ( Tried 4 from Aliexpress )

Post by n.marek » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:17 am

I had the first and the fourth on your list and both worked (until I destroyed one :D ).
I bought them on eBay, but look the same.
But all of these hubs are really bad quality, and very sensitive to heat and soldering.
This is the one I got, and works. Also the board is pretty small, so it's good!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131868248443 ... EBIDX%3AIT

BuToNz

Post by BuToNz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 pm

The Pi Zero doesn't really have much spare amperage available for the USB port. You'll want to wire it directly to the 5v.

I use a Sweex USB hub which barely will power the WiFi USB and Bluetooth at the same time.
http://www.sweex.com/en/notebook-pc-acc ... ubs/US011/

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:20 am

The biggest thing the USB hub needs other than a 5v source directly from your power supply is its own IC. the IC on the pi zero can only handle one USB device. Most USB hubs just repeat the USB signal. But some hubs with their own IC register each device you plug into the hub as a new USB device before it gets sent to the OS on the pi. Raspbain/retro pie can handle multiple USB devices, but the pi can not. So whatever USB hub you try, it needs to have its own IC.

If your USB hub is known to work, make sure it's getting powered from the 5v directly from your powerboost. Else it's just your wiring. Make sure to test your hub before you go tearing it apart to help diagnose where the problem is.

kaldoranne

Post by kaldoranne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 am

jermzz wrote:The biggest thing the USB hub needs other than a 5v source directly from your power supply is its own IC. the IC on the pi zero can only handle one USB device. Most USB hubs just repeat the USB signal. But some hubs with their own IC register each device you plug into the hub as a new USB device before it gets sent to the OS on the pi. Raspbain/retro pie can handle multiple USB devices, but the pi can not. So whatever USB hub you try, it needs to have its own IC.

If your USB hub is known to work, make sure it's getting powered from the 5v directly from your powerboost. Else it's just your wiring. Make sure to test your hub before you go tearing it apart to help diagnose where the problem is.
Well i think you win here. I never think about that when I was testing ..

I'm going to try that since I was only trying the usb hub i plug it directly on the micro Usb (using an adaptator)
I will try later today with power from the powerboost and will get back here to make a return of my test :)

kaldoranne

Post by kaldoranne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:10 am

n.marek wrote:I had the first and the fourth on your list and both worked (until I destroyed one :D ).
I bought them on eBay, but look the same.
But all of these hubs are really bad quality, and very sensitive to heat and soldering.
This is the one I got, and works. Also the board is pretty small, so it's good!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131868248443 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks if the wire directly from the 5v does not work i will order the same one , or at least try to since they don't delivery to France.

Thanks again all for your answer

n.marek

Post by n.marek » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 am

With the new Pi0 W you might not even need a hub :)

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 am

n.marek wrote:With the new Pi0 W you might not even need a hub :)
Why do people keep saying that? You need a hub. You need a keyboard or you're going to get frustrated from pulling the sd card every time you need to edit a config.

You can't even turn on wifi or Bluetooth in retropie without a keyboard.

n.marek

Post by n.marek » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:05 pm

jermzz wrote:
Why do people keep saying that? You need a hub. You need a keyboard or you're going to get frustrated from pulling the sd card every time you need to edit a config.

I thought, you might just need 1 usb port (for the keyboard) to lead it from the Pi.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:18 pm

n.marek wrote:
jermzz wrote:

I thought, you might just need 1 usb port (for the keyboard) to lead it from the Pi.
The USB port on the pi is used for the teensey. You need a hub to have a keyboard.