Better sound, better speaker

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Treguard

Re: Better sound, better speaker

Post by Treguard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks for the replies. I went for the Visaton speaker in the end.

http://cpc.farnell.com/visaton/bf32-8oh ... dp/LS04222

When you modified the original ring in the GB case, was that cutting the lip of the speaker holder and moving it apart slightly? I'm using a Common ground 4 button PCB, so will check how much space it leaves.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:12 am

Are the two connectors for the speaker those little metal legs with the holes in?

Edit:- Managed to fit the speaker in, but i didnt realise that it prevented the common ground 4 button pcb from seating properly. I ended up just shaving a bit off the pcb, though did get.quite close to the tracks on the back!

Megavolt

Post by Megavolt » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 am

Yes those are the connectors ! Do you have some images to share ? =)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:23 am

Megavolt wrote:Yes those are the connectors ! Do you have some images to share ? =)
Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. It's still a WIP, so the speaker is only connected to the PAM8403 atm. I'm still not 100% sure how I'll wire that, the USB DAC, headphone socket and eventually the Pi up. I'm having a bit of a break atm as I'm struggling soldering the close joints on the Common Ground PCB. The holes are too close lol

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:21 am

Sweet. Super excited about getting started on my second build, and I just finished my first one last night. Not super excited to look at my credit card statement though. ;)

With this second build, I figured I'd go all out and do it right. And with Helders AIO that will eliminate a lot of the mess of wires, I figured I'd go with the bigger speaker.

Anyone have any issues with putting a larger speaker in other than trimming it down to fit? I guess I'm hoping Helders AIO leaves enough room for it. Just curious if someone's seen any negative effects after using one for a while now.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

ABH

Post by ABH » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:47 am

I use this Speaker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321501717358?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
The sound very high and pure
After i cut speaker edges , and a little of gameboy housing . it's fit perfect with AIO

Zero

Post by Zero » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't know anything about speaker technology so maybe someone could enlighten me. I've seen that my amp board can handle 4-8ohm speakers and on the speakers I have ripped out of stuff over the years they are marked anywhere from 0.1w up to 1w and are 4 or 8ohm speakers. I have always assumed that using a lower wattage means it will use less power and that a lower ohm value means it's a higher quality speaker, but maybe I'm totally wrong?

Can anyone please tell me which would be best in this range I've stated above? Would a 4ohm 1w speaker use more power, but sound better? And to save power a 0.1w 4ohm speaker would be best?

Rolen47

Post by Rolen47 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Zero wrote:I don't know anything about speaker technology so maybe someone could enlighten me. I've seen that my amp board can handle 4-8ohm speakers and on the speakers I have ripped out of stuff over the years they are marked anywhere from 0.1w up to 1w and are 4 or 8ohm speakers. I have always assumed that using a lower wattage means it will use less power and that a lower ohm value means it's a higher quality speaker, but maybe I'm totally wrong?

Can anyone please tell me which would be best in this range I've stated above? Would a 4ohm 1w speaker use more power, but sound better? And to save power a 0.1w 4ohm speaker would be best?
Ohms value is the amount of impedance (resistance) the speaker puts on the amp. If you don't use the correct impedance speaker for your amp design it can overheat or burn out.

The watts value is how much power the speaker can receive before distorting and possibly burning out. The higher the value, the louder the speaker can get (but you need a sufficiently powered amp to feed power to the speaker). I don't think the the watts value on speakers directly correlates to how much energy is drained from the battery since the amp is what supplies the energy. You need a more efficient amp if you want your battery to drain less.

The quality of sound a speaker can produce depends mostly on the materials that the speaker is built out of (and even the shape of the speaker can make a difference). Cheap thin plastic speakers can't produce sound in as wide a range as a larger speaker made of higher quality materials.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Megavolt wrote:Cannikin did a very good describtion.

I cut the edges of my speaker off and modified the plastic ring in the original GB-case. I did fit in very thight, just added some extra hot glue around the speaker just to be sure. As cannikin already said, don't cut too much from the case. Do it step by step and try to fit your speaker into it time by time.
I'm wonderig if it's possible to fit this speaker in alongside Helder's AIO board. I'm thinkong probably not since i already had to trim a (broken sadly) common ground pcb.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:18 am

ABH wrote:I use this Speaker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321501717358?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
The sound very high and pure
After i cut speaker edges , and a little of gameboy housing . it's fit perfect with AIO
Please could you do me a favour and measure the diameter of your speaker? Im trying to see if its the same size as the Visatonic one i used above :)