Better sound, better speaker

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Cannikin

Better sound, better speaker

Post by Cannikin » Wed May 18, 2016 12:17 pm

So I know most folks are happy with the default GB speaker, or that one from Adafruit but how about a REAL speaker? I've had these ones for a while sitting in a drawer and decided to see if I could make it fit in the GBZ: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... m--285-103

It's got a rubber surround, metal diaphram and an actual spider. Frequency range goes down to 240Hz as opposed to the 600Hz for the Adafruit one. It does sound a lot "fuller" compared to the tinny sound of the built-in speaker. The only problem is that it's a little thicker than stock. Okay, a lot thicker:

Plus the mounting bracket is square and not round. A little help from Mr. Dremel takes care of that problem:

And after some polishing it fit right into the existing speaker bracket:

I haven't fully removed the battery compartment yet as I'm trying to make the minimum number of mods to the case as possible, but this larger speaker definitely requires some cuts so I took it to the drill press with a 1" bit and then massaged it in a couple of places with the Dremel afterwords:

I don't have my button circuit board yet, so either that'll require some modification or it might turn out there just won't be enough room for a speaker this large. But as of right now it's fitting great! :)

Cannikin

Re: Better sound, better speaker

Post by Cannikin » Wed May 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Just hooked it up to an amp and man it sounds realllllyyyyy nice compared to the stock one. Much "fuller" sound (more bass usually has that effect). And it can get crazy loud, to the point the case is vibrating like crazy in your hands (much less so once it's full of components and weighted down a bit).

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 18, 2016 1:15 pm

Daaaaaangggg... talk about turbo mode!

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Wow, that's really cool! $3.25 isn't bad either. :)

Zeke2040

Post by Zeke2040 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Sounds awesome. Would such a speaker have a greatly negative effect on battery life?

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Zeke2040 wrote:Sounds awesome. Would such a speaker have a greatly negative effect on battery life?
I don't think so... it's still 8 ohm. Probably depends more on the volume: the amp needs to use more juice to amplify the signal. The sensitivity of the speaker matters somewhat. This one is 81dB which isn't amazing, but compared to the current draw of the screen and Zero the speaker is negligible.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed May 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Cannikin wrote:Just hooked it up to an amp and man it sounds realllllyyyyy nice compared to the stock one. Much "fuller" sound (more bass usually has that effect). And it can get crazy loud, to the point the case is vibrating like crazy in your hands (much less so once it's full of components and weighted down a bit).
Awesome! And free, automatic rumble support for all games! :D
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed May 18, 2016 8:21 pm

wermy wrote:Awesome! And free, automatic rumble support for all games! :D
That might actually be a really cool feature if it could be done right, for the games that had that originally anyway.

@Cannikin Between the speaker and the screen, your motto is definitely "Go big or go home!"

Photonicide

Post by Photonicide » Sat May 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Just purchased the 8-Ohm version on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-CE32 ... ni+Speaker!

I have prime so I was able to get it shipped quickly for cheaper. I also ordered the 640x480 screen as well. I love your go big or go home attitude @Cannikin! Now to figure how to fit it all in the case...

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sat May 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Kilren wrote:"Go big or go home!"
Lol if we had user titles that should definitely be cannikins' title.