Raspberry pi zero not detecting teensy lc

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Travisty

Raspberry pi zero not detecting teensy lc

Post by Travisty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 am

Trying to test the teensy thru raspberry pi. Connected to laptop computer all keys work fine. connected to pi via micro usb, not detected. I tried the fix where you solder the id to ground, im still trying to test via micro usb so i dont need to solder anything in place yet. now the pi detects two controllers, I hold a button still nothing. Any ideas?

UPDATE: No controllers seem to be detected in Emulation station. Ive tried a new otg usb, an xbox 360 controller, a keyboard, and ive had no success. I've reflashed my memory card several times, and reinstalled retro pi, I cant get past the emulation station welcome screen, so I need to pull the power from the pi.(is there anyway to safely power down if im stuck in the welcome screen?) Also I removed all solder from the usb id to ground. I figure thats not helping since im trying to connect through the usb not gpio. My brain hurts, any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Travisty on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrousselo

Re: Raspberry pi zero not detecting teensy lc

Post by jrousselo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 am

Travisty wrote:Trying to test the teensy thru raspberry pi. Connected to laptop computer all keys work fine. connected to pi via micro usb, not detected. I tried the fix where you solder the id to ground, im still trying to test via micro usb so i dont need to solder anything in place yet. now the pi detects two controllers, I hold a button still nothing. Any ideas?

Did you follow wermy's guide? And by not "working" is that in emulation station or pi config?

Travisty

Post by Travisty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

jrousselo wrote:
Travisty wrote:Trying to test the teensy thru raspberry pi. Connected to laptop computer all keys work fine. connected to pi via micro usb, not detected. I tried the fix where you solder the id to ground, im still trying to test via micro usb so i dont need to solder anything in place yet. now the pi detects two controllers, I hold a button still nothing. Any ideas?

Did you follow wermy's guide? And by not "working" is that in emulation station or pi config?
Im following wermys guide, Im band new to raspberry pi and the like. Emulation station will not detect.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Travisty wrote:I figure thats not helping since im trying to connect through the usb not gpio.
But the fix is for USB, not gpio. It emulates plugging in an OTG cable. The fix was meant for people who got it to work with OTG but wouldn't get it to work soldering directly to the pads.

Travisty

Post by Travisty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

PotaTox wrote:
Travisty wrote:I figure thats not helping since im trying to connect through the usb not gpio.
But the fix is for USB, not gpio. It emulates plugging in an OTG cable. The fix was meant for people who got it to work with OTG but wouldn't get it to work soldering directly to the pads.
I soldered the id back to ground while messing around with it again today. I think the problem is im only getting half a volt out of the usb. I soldered my usb hub to pp1 pp6 and the data wire to their respected pads. thinking maybe this would provide me with 5v to the controller but checking pp1 and pp6 with a meter showed only half a volt... is that how its suppose to be?

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:00 am

Travisty wrote:I think the problem is im only getting half a volt out of the usb. I soldered my usb hub to pp1 pp6 and the data wire to their respected pads.
If I remember correctly, soldering to the power pads on the pi is frowned upon, but I don't think it will matter too much if it's just a hub, I'm not an expert on this and I don't know. Might want to ask @Helder on this. Also, what did you do to get half a volt off the pi?! How is it still even running :lol: ?

Travisty

Post by Travisty » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:12 am

PotaTox wrote:
Travisty wrote:I think the problem is im only getting half a volt out of the usb. I soldered my usb hub to pp1 pp6 and the data wire to their respected pads.
If I remember correctly, soldering to the power pads on the pi is frowned upon, but I don't think it will matter too much if it's just a hub, I'm not an expert on this and I don't know. Might want to ask @Helder on this. Also, what did you do to get half a volt off the pi?! How is it still even running :lol: ?
Im a knuckle head, I was checking for ac not dc... soo my power pads are showing about 5 volts. When it comes to soldering to the power pads I was following along wermys guide part six, he solders his usb hub to the same points. Still im having a hell of a time trying to get a controller to detect. Emulation station just froze on me during the loading screen. hopefully i can reflash my memory card and get retropi back on before i need to leave for work. Ill keep testing once i get home.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Also, to help with trouble shooting, did you confirm your teensy and hub worked by trying it on a PC?

Travisty

Post by Travisty » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 am

Turned out the otg cable i had wasnt working with the pi, only if I applied small amounts of pressure to the micro usb port I could get it to read. I replaced the old otg with a 3.0 usb hub/cardreader/otg all in one from inland and got it working fine. Also the usb hub i was originally using for my build turned out to not work with the pi. Swapped that out for the miniman usb hub and all is going well.

marketus

Post by marketus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:38 pm

teensy didn't work for me, until I connected usb power hub to the powerbost