Gbz card reader

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
L51

Gbz card reader

Post by L51 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:03 am

Hey guys. Ive started soldering up a card reader like wormys original one when he wires into an original game cart. The problem im having is it all seems to be wired up correct but wont get power. Is this because i probably javnt wired it up right?

VeteranGamer

Re: Gbz card reader

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 am

L51 wrote:Hey guys. Ive started soldering up a card reader like wormys original one when he wires into an original game cart. The problem im having is it all seems to be wired up correct but wont get power. Is this because i probably javnt wired it up right?
provide a couple of images, that way ppl can give you a better reply....

no one can comment if you've wired it up correctly without seeing what you've actually wired up

L51

Post by L51 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 am

Pictures below

L51

Post by L51 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:32 am

L51 wrote:Pictures below
Attachments
20170303_175619.jpg
Pic 1
20170303_175619.jpg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 7617 times
20170303_192700.jpg
Pic 2
20170303_192700.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 7617 times

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:43 am

to be honest it could be a number of things....

bad connection on game cart
bad connection of cart reader
bad connection on Pi
not enough filtering to cancel the noise
and even an issue with the SD card (some sd card perform different to others)

the issues is, wermy had good results with his and this has given hope to alot of ppl that a cheap way is posible (but its pot luck) this is why the premade cart SD card with filtering are out there...

personally i would suggest you really need some proper filtering when doing this mod and even with that ppl have had mixed results and again this could even be due to the type/brand of sd card you have.

consider a premade cart or have a look at filtered sd card module or sd card extender (these all are still gonna be hit/miss)... sometime cheap doesnt end up being cheerful

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Then there is actually testing connections using a multimeter to be sure the wires go to the proper pins on the cart edge and cart reader. I'm going to assume you don't have a multimeter or know how to use one which is why this basic but necessary step was never mentioned in your posts.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Helder wrote:Then there is actually testing connections using a multimeter to be sure the wires go to the proper pins on the cart edge and cart reader. I'm going to assume you don't have a multimeter or know how to use one which is why this basic but necessary step was never mentioned in your posts.
bad connections covers it,

hows the new boards coming along, got the resistors right this time and make sure you send it with the correct headphone socket hopefully other peoples build wont be unnecessarily delayed...

shame you didn't use your multimetre then

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:54 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Helder wrote:Then there is actually testing connections using a multimeter to be sure the wires go to the proper pins on the cart edge and cart reader. I'm going to assume you don't have a multimeter or know how to use one which is why this basic but necessary step was never mentioned in your posts.
bad connections covers it,

hows the new boards coming along, got the resistors right this time and make sure you send it with the correct headphone socket hopefully other peoples build wont be unnecessarily delayed...

shame you didn't use your multimetre then
The sockets I sent actually work and you can just snip the extra pin's housing plastic off and it will work like the standard 5pin since the 6th pin is for a mic and unused. A multimeter wouldn't make a difference in the resistors on my board since they are all connected and have been used in previous builds, it was the extra filtering that caused the low values to affect the speaker cutoffs but they are remedied now.

So back on topic of the OP, your best bet to find the error in the wiring is to use a multimeter on each pad on the SD card and see where it is on the Cart edge and then on the Cart reader pin then you can see where each pins is connected to and solder them to the appropriate pads on the Pi.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Helder wrote:
VeteranGamer wrote:
next time dont assume.... you just end up looking like a dick

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:06 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Helder wrote:
VeteranGamer wrote:
next time dont assume.... you just end up looking like a dick
:lol: :arrow: 8-)