Game Boy Zero - Gaboze Pocaio

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
32teeth

Re: Game Boy Zero - Pocket Edition

Post by 32teeth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm

goosewerks wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm
That looks great! All those features in a PCB would make it much easier to cram into the smaller shell. I was hoping for just a generic button PCB.
you mean like a simple tactile switch?
i take it you would be looking to do a 3d print shell and buttons.

i might be able to integrate the tact switch mounts with the conductive buttons

32teeth

Post by 32teeth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm

abrugsch wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:37 pm
So basically helders board... ;)
Yes and No
Inspired and influenced, but targeting the GBP market

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:50 am

32teeth wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm
Inspired and influenced, but targeting the GBP market
well i meant all the feature requests were turning your board into a GBP helder AIO ;)

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:49 am

Well, if everybody asks for the same features on a different handheld, it obviously is going to look like Helder's AIO. From my experience with his board, a few components could be better placed. the powerstrip is very far at the bottom which made me use a lot of wire to connect everything. USB can indead be placed on the side. sound configuration is perfect, no need to change that. Last thing would be the L and R wires: I think most people open the GB like the would open a book (opening on the long edge) which makes it a bit tidious to connect one of the back buttons to the far opposite edge. I would prefer the backbutton wiring being on the same edge (either right or left).

But this is just my experience with his board.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:58 am

Something like this:
helder_aio_alt_eccho.png
helder_aio_alt_eccho.png (254.75 KiB) Viewed 6972 times

Mad Paint skills, I know 8-)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:25 am

Might be possible but a lot of the placement of parts is for routing purposes. Cutting and pasting things with an image editor isn't how circuit boards are made. If your placement isn't possible with a 2 layer board then it likely can be with a 4 layer board.

The problem with a 4 layer board is price and complexity especially when trouble shooting problems and extra time needed to make them. I'll take those suggestions into consideration though.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 am

Helder wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:25 am
Cutting and pasting things with an image editor isn't how circuit boards are made.
:lol: Really?

Joke appart, I was just trying to illustrate my point from the message before. I understand very well that it is complicated. Thanks for the explanations though.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 am

I'm sorry for being a noob but, 4 layers means that tracks can be more easily crossed and dispatched on the board isn't it ?
I was imagining that (sorry again for my noob) (example) : 1st layer contains tracks for sound, 2nd layer contains tracks for buttons,, 3rd layer contains tracks for powering stuffs, and the 4th one for the rest ? isn't it working in this way ?
I apologize again for my question if it sounds stupid, i am wondering because i have installed a trial version of Eagle and want to give a try to design a simple PCB for routing power with a very special shape in a bartop project that i'm planning to build.
Follow me on instagram Image

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:14 am

Trial version doesn't allow you to do 4 layer boards. Usually 4 layer boards have GND and power in the inner layers. It does make routing easier in the end but the cost is much more and like I mentioned troubleshooting these boards can be difficult, if people don't mind the extra cost it's an option to consider.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you for the reply. I didn't meant i will make 4 layers, i don't have the need nor the knowledge for that. i basically need ground pads and positive pads along a 20cm PCB just like your power strip, but bigger lol.

For me, rerouting all your work is pointless, you will loose time and efforts for a task that is not making the revolution... as i said, i would largely prefer seeing you making upgrades to the sound part (which you said is coming with the next board, cool) and focusing on the next projects lol :mrgreen:
Follow me on instagram Image