Actual wiring diagram

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
User avatar
Kilren
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Washington, USA
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Kilren » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:48 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
Ganreizu wrote:Broken pages. Look at the doggies!
fixed!
I bought the uxcell amp and got it in the mail yesterday. I'll be testing and posting my results tomorrow. I'm in finals right now, but going to take a break tomorrow and get something done on the GBZ.

User avatar
dirtybeagles
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:02 am

[mention]Kilren[/mention]good reason to take a break!!!

just FYI, I did NOT do mono with mine. I did L and R wires going to my wheel. Hopefully you get it working and can figure out my problem. If you have time, please put together a little diagram of what you have if you get it working of course.

User avatar
Kilren
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Washington, USA
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Kilren » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:18 am

dirtybeagles wrote:[mention]Kilren[/mention]good reason to take a break!!!

just FYI, I did NOT do mono with mine. I did L and R wires going to my wheel. Hopefully you get it working and can figure out my problem. If you have time, please put together a little diagram of what you have if you get it working of course.
Yeah, I am doing stereo as well. I'll definitely get you hooked up, at least with where I am at by tomorrow. I'm hoping to have a finished system though, I was really close when I had to put it down for a couple of days.

dboSS
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by dboSS » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:18 am

Does any one have the wiring without using complex usb sound cards etc...?
I just need the volume wheel + adafruit mono amp + speaker + headphone.

User avatar
dirtybeagles
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:27 am

dboSS wrote:Does any one have the wiring without using complex usb sound cards etc...?
I just need the volume wheel + adafruit mono amp + speaker + headphone.
You may have to wait for wermy's video. I am pretty sure that is what he is doing.

User avatar
Cannikin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:10 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Cannikin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 am

dirtybeagles wrote:Looking at your picture and looking at your diagram, I am not seeing where you soldered both AMP GRD to the Switch B on the headphone jack? Also I do not see your USB Sound Card GRD either?
Now with labels! See if this helps...

Image

User avatar
dirtybeagles
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:11 am

Cannikin wrote:Now with labels! See if this helps...
Is there and reason you used LIN (left channel on the amp) instead of RIN? I used RIN which is why I ask to make sure that doesn't matter in my connection.

User avatar
Cannikin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:10 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Cannikin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:43 am

dirtybeagles wrote:Is there and reason you used LIN (left channel on the amp) instead of RIN? I used RIN which is why I ask to make sure that doesn't matter in my connection.
Nope, just picked one. I'd really rather send in both signals and let the amp return a mono signal if possible...I've noticed that in some games where the sound pans left to right I'm missing half of it. I saw someone wire up both left and right to the Adafruit mono amp (using both the A+ and A- inputs) so I'm going to try that and see what happens.

User avatar
dirtybeagles
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:22 pm

I think I might have found my issue. After looking at your last post, I noticed on the GB Wheel you had your first connection going to L on the sound card. I saw this from someone else and it looks like it is backward for R and L.
Pot.jpg
Pot.jpg (196.2 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
I think the way it should be is
5 = L in
4 = R in
3 = R out
2 = L out
1 = GRD

Question though, why not ground the GB Wheel to the ground on the headphone jack?

User avatar
Cannikin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:10 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Cannikin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:20 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:I think I might have found my issue. After looking at your last post, I noticed on the GB Wheel you had your first connection going to L on the sound card. I saw this from someone else and it looks like it is backward for R and L.
Well, you should be able to swap L and R without any problems, as long as you swap both 5 and 2, and 4 and 3. 2 is the output from 5 and 3 is the output from 4.
dirtybeagles wrote:Question though, why not ground the GB Wheel to the ground on the headphone jack?
So if you leave off the ground it acts like a "rheostat" instead of a potentiometer. Even after reading this I'm not sure I fully understand the difference: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... a-rheostat

But when I was using my voltage meter to figure out how to wire up the volume knob I saw the resistance range from about 20 ohms to 9.5k ohms between 5 and 2. That gives a pretty wide range for volume so that's what I did.

If you hook up the ground wire I think the range wasn't as wide...but I wouldn't swear to that: I'm not an electrical engineer, maybe someone else can explain the difference!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest