Actual wiring diagram

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
joe7dust

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by joe7dust » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Cannikin wrote:Hey guys, I'm playing around with Fritzing and putting together a real wiring diagram. It can also convert this view (known as the breadboard view) to a schematic, but that probably isn't as useful for the layman:

Here's the Fritzing file: gameboy_zero.fzz

It's missing the screen and a couple external USB connectors, but pretty much everything else is there. As you can see the sound section is the most complex, but I think this covers everything: changing the volume for both speaker and amp via the build-in volume knob and then disconnecting the speaker when the headphones are plugged in.

I'll keep this main image updated as I make changes and additions.

Edit 2016-05-21: added download file
Would you or someone else maybe be able to show how to implement non adafruit boards into this? (the blue ones in the picture)

I plan to use this AMP and this DC-DC Booster since I was able to save $25 that way.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 am

Cannikin wrote:So if you leave off the ground it acts like a "rheostat" instead of a potentiometer. Even after reading this I'm not sure I fully understand the difference
At this level of electronics, there is no difference. With higher loads, a rheostat will act more like a dimmer (adjusted current), where a pot will be more likely used to adjust voltage.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 am

joe7dust wrote:I plan to use this AMP
I am trying to get around to writing a guide using non-OEM parts to do the audio. I'll have it posted hopefully tomorrow. This weekend at the latest. That is the same board I am using, though I bought it under a different name here.

An extra note though, I am using all non-oem parts for audio, including pot, usb audio card, headphone jack, speaker, and amp.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:44 am

Kilren wrote:
I am trying to get around to writing a guide using non-OEM parts to do the audio. I'll have it posted hopefully tomorrow. This weekend at the latest. That is the same board I am using, though I bought it under a different name here.

An extra note though, I am using all non-oem parts for audio, including pot, usb audio card, headphone jack, speaker, and amp.
I avoided using adafruit on everything except power. I highly suggest using that board. It is definitly marked up and at a premium, but it has by far the most (and most useful features) of any other power source found yet. Capable of playing + charging, low battery notification, and @Popcorn graceful shutdown, making it worth it's extra cost.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:44 am

Kilren wrote:
Kilren wrote:

I avoided using adafruit on everything except power. I highly suggest using that board. It is definitly marked up and at a premium, but it has by far the most (and most useful features) of any other power source found yet. Capable of playing + charging, low battery notification, and @Popcorn graceful shutdown, making it worth it's extra cost.
The improved protection against SD corruption is mighty tempting. If it weren't for all the stuff I've read about them running hot, not working, or frying themselves I might actually get one.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:24 am

Not sure if it is my Powerboost or some other component in my project but after I connected up the uxcell amp and started messing around with retropie, I did notice I only got about 30-45 minutes of battery life. It could have something to do with having the wifi usb dongle connected the whole time, but I am curious on if it is the AMP draining the battery or something else.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:31 am

dirtybeagles wrote:Not sure if it is my Powerboost or some other component in my project but after I connected up the uxcell amp and started messing around with retropie, I did notice I only got about 30-45 minutes of battery life. It could have something to do with having the wifi usb dongle connected the whole time, but I am curious on if it is the AMP draining the battery or something else.
That is really interesting. I wonder what is going on there. There shouldn't be anything that has that much of a draw. I can definitely say though that it is not the wifi dongle.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 am

joe7dust wrote:The improved protection against SD corruption is mighty tempting. If it weren't for all the stuff I've read about them running hot, not working, or frying themselves I might actually get one.
They do definitely get hot. However, I haven't heard of any of them not working and the only one I've heard of being fried is Popcorn's. Maybe I missed something? I have been hit and miss on the forum the last few days thanks to finals.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 am

Kilren wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:Not sure if it is my Powerboost or some other component in my project but after I connected up the uxcell amp and started messing around with retropie, I did notice I only got about 30-45 minutes of battery life. It could have something to do with having the wifi usb dongle connected the whole time, but I am curious on if it is the AMP draining the battery or something else.
That is really interesting. I wonder what is going on there. There shouldn't be anything that has that much of a draw. I can definitely say though that it is not the wifi dongle.
The 3W amp does seem a bit overkill for a 0.5W speaker. I'm also worried it will affect my battery since I also ordered the same one. For comparison the 3.5" display I ordered is only 1.1W. I think the display should be #1 power draw in the whole sytem, so hopefully that 3W amp board is "smart" enough not to use a full 3W all the time or it would be like having 3 screens powered up all at once.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 am

I am not sure which battery you use, but you might as well have one with a fake capacity.
Try to test it for its real mAh to be sure it is really something in your setup and not the battery.