Issue with Screen Display (Wermy GBZ)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
tw!tch

Issue with Screen Display (Wermy GBZ)

Post by tw!tch » Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm

New to this, so please forgive the terrible soldering (though that may be the problem itself):

I'm unable to get a picture to my Adafruit 3.5" display used in the original guide. I've wired it as far as I can tell to run off 5v and I'm trying to test it with my Pi Zero. I can see the display is backlit and powered on, but I can't see the Retropie loading screen. I've tested it with the HDMI connection and can confirm that the OS is loaded and working properly. I can only think that either A) my soldering is so terrible that I've just fried something or B) a wire is not in the correct place.

If anyone had any suggestions I would be truly grateful.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

jostie94

Re: Issue with Screen Display (Wermy GBZ)

Post by jostie94 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Wiring seems to be properly connected. Check your ribbon cable, is it undamaged and al the way in the connector on the pcb?
my GBZ builds:
1) http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3197
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tw!tch

Post by tw!tch » Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Thank you for taking the time to check!

Cable looks good to me (a small cosmetic blemish) and seems to be seated well.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

jostie94

Post by jostie94 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 pm

I've been spending a whole day searching for the reason my screen did not work. Turns out I was wrong with the ribon cable all the time, I was putting it in upside down every time :roll:

Anyway, try this:

- format tour sd card and install a fresh copy of retropie.

- do you have a multimeter? If so, check if there is a connection between the yellow and the white wire. It looks like they touch each other on the pcb of the screen.

- Try connecting the output of the pi to the input av2 of your screen. On the PCB of the screen: yellow to gnd and white to av2.
my GBZ builds:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tw!tch

Post by tw!tch » Tue May 09, 2017 9:41 pm

-Just tried formatting the SD card and reinstalling Retropie. Tested OK with HDMI but no dice with the screen.

-Multimeter tested OK as well with the connections, including power+ground from where the regulator was all the way to the Pi and video+ground. Decided to switch to AV2 anyway to see if that would help, but alas, same issue.

I'm thinking I must have broken something on the screen PCB or maybe got a lemon. I've looked around but couldn't find any other settings to adjust on the screen, and the Pi shouldn't have anything weird as I haven't touched that firmware since I got it :cry:

AAMinistry

Post by AAMinistry » Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 am

I can't remember for the Adafruit screen but I know that for my BW screen you only need yellow or white connected to the Pi not both (one is AV1 the other AV2 on the BW screen).

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 am

Try adding:

Code: Select all

sdtv_mode=0
To your config.txt file and place a # in front of anything that begins with hdmi and see if that works for you.

jostie94

Post by jostie94 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 am

AAMinistry wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 am
I can't remember for the Adafruit screen but I know that for my BW screen you only need yellow or white connected to the Pi not both (one is AV1 the other AV2 on the BW screen).
I use the adafruit screen in my current build and can confirm that you can use both wires. One for video signal and the other is GND.
my GBZ builds:

AAMinistry

Post by AAMinistry » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 am

jostie94 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 am
AAMinistry wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 am
I use the adafruit screen in my current build and can confirm that you can use both wires. One for video signal and the other is GND.
Ah okay, just something I noticed. Saved me watching the original videos again when I get home from work :)

tw!tch

Post by tw!tch » Wed May 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Neither modifying config.txt or (just to see what would happen) removing the ground from the ground+video pair on the Pi seemed to help. Still just a powered on screen with no image.

I appreciate the help, I may just get another screen.