Black Case Graphics

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dug1967

Black Case Graphics

Post by dug1967 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 am

Has anybody yet done or seen black graphics (Nintendo GAME BOY, Select Start, B A) on the case face?

I am planning to use a Red case, with all back buttons and black PSP joystcik and a black cartridge in the back.. so the OCD in me is bugged by the blue graphics on the case.

I was hoping to remove the blue graphics with acetone and print the same images on some clear sticker type material and apply to the case.

Has anybody beat this bush yet or will I need to figure out the details myself?

Psy128

Re: Black Case Graphics

Post by Psy128 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 pm

I would try water slide decal paper. I have used it on alot of joy pad mods and that. Just remember to get clear paper and the one to match your printer.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Don't use acetone. It will melt the surface, not remove the graphics.

I probably wouldn't use water slide decals, either. Home-printed decals are delicate (the ink scratches off easily), need to be applied over a glossy surface to eliminate 'silvering', and should be sealed with a clear coat on top to protect and blend into the surface.

Dry transfers would be a better solution, since they eliminate the need for a gloss base, they won't silver, and you won't have a shiny decal film to deal with. However, it would be hard to get a dry transfer to stick to the DMG's textured surface, and it will still be fairly delicate.

IMO your best bet would be to cut a vinyl mask and paint it on. The lettering is probably too fine to use a DIY cutter like a Cricut, but something like a laser cutter might work. Apply the mask, spray some black paint and you're done.

dug1967

Post by dug1967 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks for the feedback Psy128 and ICMF.....

I too, was concerned about the acetone... was planning on trying it on another bad case I have first, but I guess I don't need to do that now.

You both kind of give conflicting opinions on wet vs. dry so it might just leave me with living with the blue graphic and doing a lot of eye lid twitching....

Or maybe I will take one of those fine Sharpie markers and just "color between the lines" on the existing graphics... might just try that on the bad case and see how that holds up.

But again, thanks for the thoughts

Kennie

Post by Kennie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:34 am

@ICMF would you recommend the cricut machine? Sorry for being off topic

I'm in the market for a desktop vinyl cutter. Read you comment and wanted to see if you can help me.

The problem with doing research on the internet is that it's filled with garbage hype. That's why
I would like to hear from somebody who actually owns one.

What I've pieced together so far is that cricut has a horrible customer support. Is this true? What
about the software is it still online no changes.

I was lucky when I've found a blog post that said it as it is. Actually it's harsher than you would imagine.
My short list included cameo and cricut. This post comparing cameo with cricut was an eye opener.

Good news I got a real review bad news it has put me on the fence. What's your take on it?
Any ideas will be helpful.