Where do I start?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
mwin

Where do I start?

Post by mwin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi everybody!
I've been following sudomod and wermy's YouTube page for a couple months now and I am amazed at the amount of skill that everyone has here. I love retro video games and want to start building a GBZ on my own, but I have one problem. I'm a high school student with zero experience pertaining to electrical engineering. I don't even know how to solder. My question is: Where did you guys learn the skills necessary to start building (and even designing) your own projects?

dryja123

Re: Where do I start?

Post by dryja123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Welcome to the community!

My first suggestion would be research and consume as much data as possible. There's a ton of material on these forums and plenty of YouTube tutorials. When you feel like you've have a sufficient fundamental knowledge of what project you want to tackle you have to practice.

Don't be afraid to fail. Wermy, Helder, and Kite have failed on their designs and project more often then they've succeeded, as we all do it's life. Don't get discouraged by failure, use failure as motivation to try harder and gain more knowledge.

Before May of this year I never held a soldering iron and I knew very little about building electronics. Since then, I've completed several projects and I'm about to complete a Pi3 GBZ.

When in doubt, reach out. Just try to do a little research on your own before you do but that's not a rule. When you find the answers on your own they're more likely going to stick with you.

Good luck and have fun!

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 am

I cannot say better. I got my skills with work, passion, reading, lurking and dreaming !

Good luck in your future projetc(s) do not hesitate to ask questions, people here are really willing to help !
Follow me on instagram Image

Moneyzzz101

Post by Moneyzzz101 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm in completely the same boat as you, have you started to do anything yet? My first project was repairing a broken DMG gameboy which I had to solder the screen ribbon.
Now I'm considering doing a Pi gameboy but I don't have much knowledge either.
Have you found anything useful that I can read up on as there is loads out there and it's just confusing me.

Aoide

Post by Aoide » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:10 am

I'm also in the same boat here. Just starting to get the materials together but have never touched a soldering tool before in my life. TBH the number of people on these forums who appear to have created a working GBZ without previous electronics experience gives me a little courage. Gotta start somewhere?

Aoide

Post by Aoide » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 am

Same here. Just starting to get the materials together but have never touched a soldering tool before in my life. TBH the number of people on these forums who appear to have created a working GBZ without previous electronics experience gives me a little courage. Gotta start somewhere?

There seems to be a lot of resources on this page and on YouTube to help, so I'm hoping I can struggle along and eventually make something work.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:51 am

Follow me on instagram Image

Maury

Post by Maury » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 am

The earlier you have the desire to learn, the easier it will be tomorrow.

My suggestion is that you buy your tools and practice with broken games or buy some super cheap gaming system and practice on them.

This will be your experience and remember no one is born with the wisodn, simply experiment day by day and put into practice what you learn in your game boy zero.

As you can see, we are here to help.

Good Luck