Soldering iron recommendations?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
buttguy

Soldering iron recommendations?

Post by buttguy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Hey guys! I've tried searching through the forums and couldn't really find a good answer, but what soldering iron would you recommend for this project?

I bought a really cheap 60W soldering kit from Microcenter, and I assume that the iron gets way too hot because it burned my PCB and stripped off the tracers. I just ordered the custom PCB from Kitsch-Bent and I'm thinking of buying another soldering iron; I really don't want to mess up this circuit board too :(

sander

Re: Soldering iron recommendations?

Post by sander » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi! I would get a soldering iron that allows you to control the temperature so you won't burn any delicate
traces or wires, like this one.
Or, if you plan to do more projects in the future, invest in something like this one.

toiletpaper69

Post by toiletpaper69 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 pm

I use this http://www.parts-express.com/stahl-tool ... e--374-200. I have had good luck with it. It's a little pricier but has useful added features.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:26 am

buttguy wrote:Hey guys! I've tried searching through the forums and couldn't really find a good answer, but what soldering iron would you recommend for this project?

I bought a really cheap 60W soldering kit from Microcenter, and I assume that the iron gets way too hot because it burned my PCB and stripped off the tracers. I just ordered the custom PCB from Kitsch-Bent and I'm thinking of buying another soldering iron; I really don't want to mess up this circuit board too :(
There is a forum under Hardware>Tools
Good luck.