Gameboy DMG with Analog Stick Instead of D-Pad

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
mrdude42

Gameboy DMG with Analog Stick Instead of D-Pad

Post by mrdude42 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 am

Has anyone tried 3D printing a piece that would fit into the d-pad hole and cover it up with just a hole in the center so you could replace the d-pad with an analog stick? Would there be any issues with not having a d-pad and only having an analog stick in it's place?

Here's a rough mockup. The red piece could be 3D printed and placed into the D-pad section and just have a hole in the middle for an analog stick to fit through.

ImageImage
Last edited by mrdude42 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

YaYa

Re: Gameboy DMG with Analog Stick Instead of D-Pad

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Very nice idea ! If neolith is lurking around, he should do the trick very quickly lol
Follow me on instagram Image

neolith

Post by neolith » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 am

YaYa wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:00 pm
Very nice idea ! If neolith is lurking around, he should do the trick very quickly lol
You rang? :lol:

@mrdude42:
I can create a model for such an inset, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Getting it to actually fit might be trial & error though. Some printed plastic tends to slightly change while cooling down. Also not all shells are exactly the same size and the difference of half a mm could make any model useless.
Then there is the problem of fixing the inset in place. Maybe this could be done by creating slight overhangs that allow the model to 'click' into place. I have no idea if any printed material does allow for such uses though, maybe it's too brittle. Or you could glue it in. Then an inset pushed through from the inside might work best.

What kind of joystick are you planning for? How big should the remaining hole be? Does the stick need to be fitted in with the print?
I don't have any time this week, but we've got two holidays coming up next week, so I might have some time to give it a try...
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:45 am

Yeah i rang :mrgreen: and you opened the door :lol:

mrdude42

Post by mrdude42 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:58 am

neolith wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 am
YaYa wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:00 pm
You rang? :lol:

@mrdude42:
I can create a model for such an inset, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Getting it to actually fit might be trial & error though. Some printed plastic tends to slightly change while cooling down. Also not all shells are exactly the same size and the difference of half a mm could make any model useless.
Then there is the problem of fixing the inset in place. Maybe this could be done by creating slight overhangs that allow the model to 'click' into place. I have no idea if any printed material does allow for such uses though, maybe it's too brittle. Or you could glue it in. Then an inset pushed through from the inside might work best.

What kind of joystick are you planning for? How big should the remaining hole be? Does the stick need to be fitted in with the print?
I don't have any time this week, but we've got two holidays coming up next week, so I might have some time to give it a try...
I was thinking maybe a PSP Analog Stick but if that looks too small then maybe the 3DS Analog Stick since it would be a better size to replace the D-pad on a GB DMG.

I'd like to do this using Kite's SAIO Board which does have a spot for an analog stick but I haven't seen a docs showing how it connects to his board or if it's possible to move it over the d-pad or not.

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:50 pm

mrdude42 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:58 am
I was thinking maybe a PSP Analog Stick but if that looks too small then maybe the 3DS Analog Stick since it would be a better size to replace the D-pad on a GB DMG.
I haven't got either of those here, but a PSP1000 stick is already in the mail. Remains to be seen how long it'll take from Malaysia to Germany. :lol:
So coming up with a glueless version will have to wait until I have that stick.
I'd like to do this using Kite's SAIO Board which does have a spot for an analog stick but I haven't seen a docs showing how it connects to his board or if it's possible to move it over the d-pad or not.
IIRC the joystick can either be directly soldered or connected via one of kite's cables.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Hey all, I made a little bezel for my scratch-built orange pi portable. Here's the file I'm using, though it's purpose built to fit into a socket in the front shell. The flanges in the back fit a PSP 1000 snugly and are flush with the bottom of the housing, but let me know if you want the bezel itself to be narrower and I can whip it up momentarily (or you could sand it to fit...)
RetroBro-Bezel-Analog-Rev7.STL
(270.49 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
SpoilerShow
preview.JPG
preview.JPG (72.48 KiB) Viewed 10868 times
SpoilerShow
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 10868 times

neolith

Post by neolith » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Okay, I just finished a clip-on ring for the d-pad.
It might fit, but I can't say for sure because I had to do a lot of guessing regarding the curvature of the indent surrounding the d-pad cutout. And unfortunately I don't have access to a printer so I have no way to make a test model.
Also I don't know if any parts are too thick or too thin for production/use – this will highly depend on the material used for printing. Depending on it the model might be too brittle or too sturdy.

However, if everything works, it should be possible to just press the clip into place.
PICTURESShow

Right now the size of the hole is just a guess and there are no features for attaching the stick itself. I'll update the model once my PSP1000 stick has arrived.
Last edited by neolith on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Wooow ! Wonderful !
Any good willing person can make a test print and test fit ? :mrgreen:

mrdude42

Post by mrdude42 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 pm

neolith wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm
Okay, I just finished a clip-on ring for the d-pad.
It might fit, but I can't say for sure because I had to do a lot of guessing regarding the curvature of the indent surrounding the d-pad cutout. And unfortunately I don't have access to a printer so I have no way to make a test model.
Also I don't know if any parts are too thick or too thin for production/use – this will highly depend on the material used for printing. Depending on it the model might be too brittle or too sturdy.

However, if everything works, it should be possible to just press the clip into place.
PICTURESShow

Right now the size of the hole is just a guess and there are no features for attaching the stick itself. I'll update the model once my PSP1000 stick has arrived.
Whoa! Looks awesome! I'll see if I can have a friend print it to test. This is just what I was imagining in my head. Great job!