On-Screen Battery Monitor Options

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
sixteenbit

Re: On-Screen Battery Monitor Options

Post by sixteenbit » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Has anyone had any issues with this stopping from working after a while? I'm using ADS1115 and it works fine for a week or so then stops. If i do a fresh install of retropie and the script it works again.

JackReacher

Post by JackReacher » Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 am

Hi,
Reading all of the thread was very informative.
I can't understand if the hooly script and the 1015 can be used in conjunction with button controls running through a teensy without any change to the script. Anyone has an idea?

Thanks

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 am

JackReacher wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 am
Hi,
Reading all of the thread was very informative.
I can't understand if the hooly script and the 1015 can be used in conjunction with button controls running through a teensy without any change to the script. Anyone has an idea?

Thanks
A Teensy already has analog inputs so no need for a 1015. Take a look at the code I use on Helder’s AIO board which uses the 32u4.

JackReacher

Post by JackReacher » Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks a lot hooly for your reply.
I found your repo, I will study it and give it a try before i bother you again. It is not clear to me if the teensy (2.0) needs additional programming (it is already running wermy's joystick script) or if I can just solder the wires to gnd vcc and adc0 and run the script on the raspy.

Also, if eventually i want to go for the 1015 option, would it work anyway?

Thanks again for your help

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sun May 20, 2018 10:03 am

For those still unsure, see my updated post for how an ADS1015 can be incorporated into your build.

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 738#p60738

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 am

I've been seeing a couple of people having issues where the battery icon disappears randomly, and it's happened to me a few times as well. Not sure if it's a specific change that I've made to something in the OS or what, but I just reflashed the base image that I made and it was back no issues.

I just built a Pi3, which is really hard to have external SD access on, so I'd like to find a solution to why the battery icon disappeared on it yesterday shortly after finishing the build. Playing on it today, the low power overlay works! It came up and gave me the warning, then the yellow battery indicator appeared following that overlay / screen / movie and stayed on screen. I plugged it into power, and the icon stayed. I rebooted, and no icon. I tried to manually run the Python script via Terminal, but nothing.

I disabled overlays in RetroArch (after the icon went away) to get the weird side bars off of my N64 games, but the yellow indicator still works after that step. Any ideas here? I glanced at the code, but I realized I don't know much about code or how the script displays the icon consistently. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I haven't been able to suss it out yet.

Any ideas here?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm

If you're installing the Battery monitor script only and not the combo script be careful what GPIO7 is wired to as this is the trigger for manual shutdown. You could inadvertently shutdown the Pi by pressing whatever your build utilises for GPIO 7.

Additionally, in reference to the icon disappearing, take a look at the script to ensure that your retrogame file corresponds (it may need tweaking) as there is a command that enables and disables the battery icon on demand. If these do not align then you may be inadvertently disabling the icon by pressing a specific button.

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Lphillimore wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm
If you're installing the Battery monitor script only and not the combo script be careful what GPIO7 is wired to as this is the trigger for manual shutdown. You could inadvertently shutdown the Pi by pressing whatever your build utilises for GPIO 7.

Additionally, in reference to the icon disappearing, take a look at the script to ensure that your retrogame file corresponds (it may need tweaking) as there is a command that enables and disables the battery icon on demand. If these do not align then you may be inadvertently disabling the icon by pressing a specific button.
Just the battery icon yes; no shutting down, though I have tested the shutdown button for fun, but that's not my issue.
I'll check my RetroGame script.

Marty33

Post by Marty33 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:09 am

I search on 13 pages without responses...

I can use this solution with HDMI screen ?

Big thanks

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 am

Marty33 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:09 am
I search on 13 pages without responses...

I can use this solution with HDMI screen ?

Big thanks

Yes

providing that the SDA & SCL GPIO points are not being used for anything else....
but are/or going to be being used with/for the ADS1015/1115 (with this method)

you can use it with any screen
(you may have issues with a DPI setup, as this setup may not have those GPIO available)

(this method used on a HDMI build)