SNES BUTTONS & MORE (read if planning a SNES colorway)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
cobramike

Re: SNES BUTTONS & MORE (read if planning a SNES colorway)

Post by cobramike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:04 am

One tip look on AliExpress and Ebay. Most sites asks to much money for SNES buttons. Why pay 15 pond when you can get those on Ali for 5 Euros. Much Much cheaper that those sites
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am

i'm gonna be the devil's advocate but i have bought from well known sites over EU (cases, pads and buttons) and the quality of these is way better than what you find over ali... because those shops have (i suppose) tested many suppliers until they found the one that gives better quality for some more cents... also you pay for the taxes from decent countries, you pay peoples decent salary... you pay for the quick shipping to have your stuff in less than a week and not months...
it's up to everyone.
Follow me on instagram Image

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

edwardthehuman wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:07 pm
Thank you for these helpful infos especially for a newbie like me who is still learning. :)

By the way, goosewerks, your what's the PSP stick for?
N64, PSX, Dreamcast, etc. Anything that needs an analog joystick.

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks for the very useful info!

Bought some aftermarket snes buttons, but switched them out with original snes controller buttons (just put the aftermarkets in the controller) and the snes ones fit (and look) so much better.
Drilled a 11mm hole and they fit like a glove.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Has anyone hollowed out the original snes buttons some so the travel of the rubber membrane feels more like the original dmg buttons? It seems like I barely touch the buttons and they bottom out on the pcb.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am

smoothoperator wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm
Has anyone hollowed out the original snes buttons some so the travel of the rubber membrane feels more like the original dmg buttons? It seems like I barely touch the buttons and they bottom out on the pcb.
i personally havent played with the build i made with the SNES/Famicom buttons for a considerably amount of time...

but i actually found them to be better than the DMG buttons, especially for these modded Game Boy...
(sharp responses arent a bad thing, especially if your using a teency or pro micro which have had poor delays in the past)
and personally i think they work slightly better also in the looks department, as the DMG buttons never really sit well with these custom PCB..
(as i've also seen people adding things like plastic shims to the buttons to make sit well)

my only concern if you do attempt to hollow out the buttons is how are you going to get a uniform depth to all the buttons....
the last thing you want is to have some buttons higher or lower than the others, because you either hollowed too much or too little...

its going to be a subjective thing, like with all these builds.. what good for one may not be good for the other...
be it colour
controls layout and feel
or screen preference...
and most importantly games of choice

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm still in the middle of my first build, so i did not have the change to test this.
I must confess that i haven't noticed that the snes buttons had a different depth... :oops:
The feel of the buttons is good (clickwise) and the response (with a simple multimeter connected) is nice and sharp.
Hope to finish my build soon so i can really test them.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am
smoothoperator wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm
i personally havent played with the build i made with the SNES/Famicom buttons for a considerably amount of time...

but i actually found them to be better than the DMG buttons, especially for these modded Game Boy...
(sharp responses arent a bad thing, especially if your using a teency or pro micro which have had poor delays in the past)
and personally i think they work slightly better also in the looks department, as the DMG buttons never really sit well with these custom PCB..
(as i've also seen people adding things like plastic shims to the buttons to make sit well)

my only concern if you do attempt to hollow out the buttons is how are you going to get a uniform depth to all the buttons....
the last thing you want is to have some buttons higher or lower than the others, because you either hollowed too much or too little...

its going to be a subjective thing, like with all these builds.. what good for one may not be good for the other...
be it colour
controls layout and feel
or screen preference...
and most importantly games of choice

So i ended up using my dremel and removed about 1.5 - 2mm of material from inside the buttons. I used a small wood dowel as a depth gauge and I think I have them spot on. The "x" and "y" buttons would almost be recessed into the case when pressed due to there not being a recess in the face of the case like the "a" and "b" buttons have so I removed the small tabs in the HoolyHoo bracket I have to allow the buttons to sit much higher. I should have did this before I remove material from "x" and "y" because now I need small washers in the buttons to take up the slack. Probably could get away with not removing material from these buttons and only removing material from "a" and "b". Turned out great in the end although. Hope this helps someone else.

Nikolett

Post by Nikolett » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:48 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:09 am
jakejm79 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm
No they were from a different seller, more just a word of warning that not all SNES/SF replacement buttons are created equal from Aliexpress so be careful where you order from. For what it is worth mine didn't have the 3rd little nub on them.
Lphillimore wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm
Nicely done, thanks. Just ordered a load of the above :D
just to reconfirm....
if you've ordered or intend to order or even thinking about it
ordering from the links I've provided you should be good (but its still buyers beware)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-SNE ... 0.0.NvxDMM

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10sets- ... d8cc&tpp=1

the originals are in the GB build, repros are in the controller housing

the lavender/purple buttons also look ok.....
there is a slight concave to the lavender, and a slight convex to the purple (maybe not to the same levels as the originals)

also communicating with Juan @ Deadpan Robot
he has advised me that they (deadpan Robot & Retro Modding) have tried to reproduce these with exact colours for the Gameboy DMG, these are Gameboy DMG buttons (with the exact colour match)

https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/snes-edi ... -zero-snes

Has anyone tried the deadpanrobot set ?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 am

Nikolett wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:48 am
Has anyone tried the deadpanrobot set ?

the buttons & sets deadpan robot sell are really good quality (this does NOT include the budget buttons)....
they are not like the re-pro buttons you can get on aliexpress, eBay or similar (these are the budget buttons on his site)

the quality is good...
the colors and the feel and look of the buttons are better than the re-pro (budget) buttons

but if your going for a SNES/Famicom colorway and your willing to spend £10 on 4 buttons
IMHO
the better option would be to buy a original SNES/Famicom controller and use the buttons from there
it will be cheaper, you'll have genuine Nintendo parts and the whole point of this, the colors are not in question...
(just make sure the buttons look OK.... I've personally opted to buy the most yellowed housing ones with good buttons)