Using a GBA slot instead of the DS Lite GBA

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.

Can I use it?

You can
100%
You cannot
No votes
There would be a conplication
No votes

Total votes: 1

GameBoyMaster

Using a GBA slot instead of the DS Lite GBA

Post by GameBoyMaster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm

I am finishing up the last sourcing of parts for my game boy zero build, but I've run into an issue, wermy used a GBA cart slot from a DS lite which he had to convert to work with Game boy carts, couldn't I just use the normal GBA cart the wouldn't need to modified and I've had trouble finding the DS lite GBA slot (aka slot 2) would there be any complications with me using the normal GBA slot, maybe the pins would be different, I'd like to know if I could or couldn't and if I couldn't where I could find the DS lite (slot 2) for cheap

PS I added a pole so it'll be simple to awnser and if there's a conplication please explain it

VeteranGamer

Re: Using a GBA slot instead of the DS Lite GBA

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:08 am

GameBoyMaster wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm
I am finishing up the last sourcing of parts for my game boy zero build, but I've run into an issue, wermy used a GBA cart slot from a DS lite which he had to convert to work with Game boy carts, couldn't I just use the normal GBA cart the wouldn't need to modified and I've had trouble finding the DS lite GBA slot (aka slot 2) would there be any complications with me using the normal GBA slot, maybe the pins would be different, I'd like to know if I could or couldn't and if I couldn't where I could find the DS lite (slot 2) for cheap

PS I added a pole so it'll be simple to awnser and if there's a conplication please explain it

you can find a NDSL GBA slot here......

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... bc1aCbiGao

but you really need to evaluate if you actually need this in your build.....

it does take up vital space (which could be used elsewhere, or just makes things a little easier)

if it isnt paired up with a consistantly working SD card Cartridge, you gonna have issues (ideally the PRS cart is the one to go for)
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1323
but you could make a DIY, but they can be hit/miss

and for me, the most imortant reason to consider if you actually need one....
how many times are you gonna need to remove the SD card, even if you locate the SD card some whereelse are you ever gonna need to remove it...
(is it just a vanity/gimmick feature, to be honest not many will actually see and more importantly you wont really get much use out of)

GameBoyMaster

Post by GameBoyMaster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am

I've though about it and I realised I could add a wireless card to my GBZ build, that would save a good chunk off money since the Cartridge to SD card is like 20$ and the rest of the bits and bobs were about 10$ + Shipping so It's just not worth it and I'm gonna use custom buttons so i'll need the space in the back anyways

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 am

My reccomendation is to orient the pi so the SD card is accessible through the contrast slot. Easy to remove if needed.