Would these buttons work?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
vinomer

Would these buttons work?

Post by vinomer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm making two separate GameBoy Zero's, one old style (original button board....etc) white shell with black Buttons, and one custom using Kite's Circuit Sword, a few 3D printed parts, and classic SNES buttons (Blue, Green, Red, Yellow). My question is this, will the buttons on this wireless controller work out if I replaced them with the ones that don't have ABXY on them (what everyone else has). The great thing about this, if it works, is that you don't have to throw the controller away if button swapping works out.

I plan on using this shell with Kite's Circuit Sword with either white or the buttons on that controller above.
Last edited by vinomer on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sushi

Re: Would these buttons work?

Post by Sushi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 pm

I very much doubt it. Even buttons made for DMGs, depending on the manufacturer, are imperfect. Considering you (probably) don't know the diameter of those buttons, I'd steer clear.

Also, you don't know what they look like on the other side. They likely wouldn't slot with a DMG case.

vinomer

Re: Would these buttons work?

Post by vinomer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 pm

According to the company selling it, it's a SNES controller made for the SNES Mini. I think they'd make the controller similar to the original because most companies understand that buttons break/get sticky. But i understand what you mean Sushi, I'd be taking a risk. On the bright side, if it doesn't work, I can always use it as a wireless controller for something else. At $15, it's not a bad deal considering SNES buttons alone cost about $7.