Game Boy Zero.3 Handheld and homeconsele?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Ghost-Guy

Game Boy Zero.3 Handheld and homeconsele?

Post by Ghost-Guy » Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 am

Alright,

I only found out about the existence of the GBZ a week ago, I was filled to the brim with enthusiasm from the start. There is one problem, I have no prior experience with anything, I know how to solder, that is it. That's is why I am pitching my little idea here, hoping one of you could help me out :geek: .

Would it be possible to make a GBZ that is a home console as well, hear me out :arrow: :

If it is possible to use a Raspberry Pi 3 in a GBZ (making it a GBZ.3) with it being a normal GBZ, but as soon as you plug in a HDMI it becomes a home console. By plugging in the HDMI you shut down the gameboy screen, it switches to whatever you have connected to the other end of the HDMI. And by having the multiple usb ports of the RB Pi 3 you can connect multiple controlers. Turning it into a little home console. The transformation will be completed when the buttons on the gameboy stop working when the HDMI is connected, but I feel like this could be a bit impractical.

All this work for a little multiplayer action... :lol:

(there could be a better way to accomplish this, but I do not know. For example with the RB pi Zero :?: )

VeteranGamer

Re: Game Boy Zero.3 Handheld and homeconsele?

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri May 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Ghost-Guy wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 am
Alright,

I only found out about the existence of the GBZ a week ago, I was filled to the brim with enthusiasm from the start. There is one problem, I have no prior experience with anything, I know how to solder, that is it. That's is why I am pitching my little idea here, hoping one of you could help me out :geek: .

Would it be possible to make a GBZ that is a home console as well, hear me out :arrow: :

If it is possible to use a Raspberry Pi 3 in a GBZ (making it a GBZ.3) with it being a normal GBZ, but as soon as you plug in a HDMI it becomes a home console. By plugging in the HDMI you shut down the gameboy screen, it switches to whatever you have connected to the other end of the HDMI. And by having the multiple usb ports of the RB Pi 3 you can connect multiple controlers. Turning it into a little home console. The transformation will be completed when the buttons on the gameboy stop working when the HDMI is connected, but I feel like this could be a bit impractical.

(there could be a better way to accomplish this, but I do not know. For example with the RB pi Zero :?: )

Welcome....

nothing new, already been done....

the GBZ (with Pi Zeros) have had HDMI out in a lot of builds...
and as most also have a ext USB port, adding another controller is also not any issue....

if you want to do this with a Pi3, its also been done....
(but a Pi3 is not the best build for a first timer IMHO)

if you search the show-off section, you'll see many builds from which you can get a better look at the finished articles....

Ghost-Guy

Post by Ghost-Guy » Sat May 05, 2018 11:20 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:54 pm
Ghost-Guy wrote:
Alright,

Welcome....

nothing new, already been done....

the GBZ (with Pi Zeros) have had HDMI out in a lot of builds...
and as most also have a ext USB port, adding another controller is also not any issue....

if you want to do this with a Pi3, its also been done....

if you search the show-off section, you'll see many builds from which you can get a better look at the finished articles....

Thanks a lot for your help,

I found all these awesome projects very overwhelming, so thanks for guiding me to the right place

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Ghost-Guy wrote:

It depends, with an integrated circuit like the circuit sword, I do not think it is that hard as a first build.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 am

Gauffre wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Ghost-Guy wrote:

It depends, with an integrated circuit like the circuit sword, I do not think it is that hard as a first build.

building something from scratch isn't as easy as building a Circuit Sword kit or any other pre-made PCB kit....
alot of people who build those have any easier time (IMHO,as they're designed to be)...

if building for the first time, they're not actually a bad route to take (maybe the best to go for if you're a little unsure of what to do)...

but if you cant get hold of one, a then a Pi0 build is a lot easier than a Pi3...
(space and power management are key to a Pi3 build, and trying to make it look decent and not a pile of mess)

(the Circuit Sword kit isnt a Pi3, its a Compute Module build kit which has the same processing power as a Pi3)
(two completely different builds)

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Wed May 09, 2018 11:33 am

Right. I agree that doing a pi3 build first is hard. Even when doing a pi0 from scratch, its hard not to make a big pile of mess.

@Ghost-guy: If you decide to go the "from-scratch" route, I would advise you to try with a pi0 first. Or to really do your homework on what others have done before you and be ready to work hard on your build. Start by watching all of wermy's videos, then look at what other people did in the show off section.
If you decide to go the "kit" way (like a circuit sword), then you will save yourself a lot of work and will probably end up with a cleaner build.

In both cases, having an hdmi port to switch to homeconsole is present in almost every build out there. There is really no difficulty here.

And in both cases, preparation leads to success. Read as much as you can on this website before going one route or the other. The learning curve is steep, but it is better to tackle it by reading than by building.

spacemishka

Post by spacemishka » Tue May 29, 2018 11:43 pm

Are there an other option to kite circuit sword for using the CM3 for an Gameboy?

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am

Well, you will need a board to do a compute module build. As far as I know, for Gameboy cases, there is only the circuit sword right now.
You can still do a Pi3 build, but space is a big constraint on those, so I would only recommend it to people who have a bit of experience with these builds (It is hard to cram everything in with a pi zero, so I can only imagine how hard it is with a pi3)...
It depends what you are trying to do. If you think the circuit sword is too expensive, you can try a simple pi0 build. If you want the Pi3 capabilities, then either a Pi3 build (difficult) or a circuit sword (might seem a little expensive at first, but when you add up everything you get, it is not that expensive compared to other builds).
I just received my CS today, which means the next batch will be pretty soon.