Am I missing anything? and build advice needed

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dicemaster

Am I missing anything? and build advice needed

Post by dicemaster » Wed May 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Hey Guys, this is going to be my first build.

I made a previous post back in december asking about my shopping list, and I think I have all the parts.
Now that I actually have some free time to spare I would like to actually start building my GBZ, but I feel like i'm still missing a few things.

So here's my list:
  • GB shell
  • Pi zero
  • 2 - CH Real Color 3.5 inch TFT LCD Display Monitor Module
  • Deadpan robot controller PCB
  • Deadpan robot Black 3mm Border Glass Screen
  • Adafruit I2S 3W Class D Amplifier Breakout
  • Adafruit 3.5mm Breadboard Friendly Stereo Headphone Jack
  • Adafruit Mini Metal Speaker w/ Wires - 8 ohm 0.5W
  • 3.7V 4000mAh Lipo Polymer Li Battery
  • 5V 1A Charger Module Mini USB To USB A Power Supply Module 3.7V Li-ion Battery
  • DMG Buttons Shoulder Bracket and buttons from erik_gee
  • volume wheel
  • on/off switch

So I'm missing another 2 buttons for x and y and some buttons wells for them, but also a screen bracket and screw bracket?
I'm not sure how necessary a screen bracket is but I'm sure a screw bracket should be needed, correct me if I'm wrong.

And I feel like i'm still missing more but I'm not sure of what.

I also need advice with how to go about building this, I haven't seen anybody show a build log in which they used a Deadpan robot controller PCB or maybe I haven't looked around for long enough, but it would be nice to be pointed in the right direction to where I could learn to build a GBZ with the parts I currently have.

As for tools, I have soldering station, a dremel and potentially a hot glue gun that I can use, and the basic tools like screw drivers and pliers...ect

Any reply to this post will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

rodocop

Re: Am I missing anything? and build advice needed

Post by rodocop » Wed May 09, 2018 4:28 pm

check out hoolyhoo's screen bracket, it is a good choice, and has built in button wells and screw posts, which are very nice. As for the button board, it looks like a simple common ground PCB, so you would just solder each button to the pi's GPIO pins (i always follow this guide: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57).

Browse around the forums, lots of those parts are common, looks like a "gearbest" screen so no 5v mod needed on that one, the "banggood charger" is very common and easy to find info on. The I2s amp you have is very nice, check out adafruit's guide on how to wire it and set up the software. everything else can be found on the forums or wiki.

If you have any more specific questions make sure to ask!! I'll help if I can. Also check my signature, it has links to all of my builds, some of which have used similar parts. I never go into great detail in my threads (not full guides, just informational), but they might help out a bit. I also always recommend watching wermy's build videos, they may not be exactly what you are doing, and they are a bit dated now, with all the new components people use, but they are a nice starting point to gather some information.

dicemaster

Post by dicemaster » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am

rodocop wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:28 pm
check out hoolyhoo's screen bracket, it is a good choice, and has built in button wells and screw posts, which are very nice. As for the button board, it looks like a simple common ground PCB, so you would just solder each button to the pi's GPIO pins (i always follow this guide: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57).

Browse around the forums, lots of those parts are common, looks like a "gearbest" screen so no 5v mod needed on that one, the "banggood charger" is very common and easy to find info on. The I2s amp you have is very nice, check out adafruit's guide on how to wire it and set up the software. everything else can be found on the forums or wiki.

If you have any more specific questions make sure to ask!! I'll help if I can. Also check my signature, it has links to all of my builds, some of which have used similar parts. I never go into great detail in my threads (not full guides, just informational), but they might help out a bit. I also always recommend watching wermy's build videos, they may not be exactly what you are doing, and they are a bit dated now, with all the new components people use, but they are a nice starting point to gather some information.
Thank you very much Rodocop, this was very informative, I'll most probably get hoolyhoo's screen bracket, seems like what I was missing. The pi's GPIO pins tutorial also seems very good, so I'll be following that.

What should my first goal be now that I have most of the parts?
Should I try and get the screen to work with the Pi or just modify the shell?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri May 11, 2018 11:02 am

Well, testing the screen is a good idea, just to make sure it works. Better to confirm that right away. (yellow wire to the TV pin on the pi, red to 5V (on the pi's gpio's or another 5v source), and black to ground (I usually ground it beside the yellow wire).

As for modifying the shell, you can easily cut out the screen area (leave about 1mm on each side for the screen cover to adhere to). I would wait until you receive hoolyhoos bracket before drilling the button holes though. Since it comes with a drill guide. And it's better to drill the holes based on the bracket. and it doesn't look like the simple PCB you have, has drill guides. The back half of the case really doesn't need much, that battery should fit in the battery tray fine. And the shoulder you plan to use have a handy drill guide too. (make sure you drill pilot holds for the button holes and drill to 11mm, a step bit is very handy).

After that, do whatever you want. I often finish the front of the case first. Here's a very general list of the order I do things.

-make mods
-wire pi's gpio to button board and screen, get everything in place (once screen is in place remove the protective cover and attach the screen surround.
-get the pi's SD card ready (set up controls, add needed lines to the config.txt for audio)
-power/charging
-audio, external usb, and shoulder buttons etc...