Using Banana Pi M2 Zero?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
spacemishka

Using Banana Pi M2 Zero?

Post by spacemishka » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:19 am

Hello,

have anyone tried using a Banana Pi M2 Zero to build a Gameboy Zero? Seems to be comparable with RPi3 just for the double price of an Raspberry Zero.

...Peter

moosepr

Re: Using Banana Pi M2 Zero?

Post by moosepr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 am

http://www.nintendont.it/download/ninte ... -2-1-beta/

there is an image here that works, but i couldnt get it on the wifi whichever way i tried!!

i also couldnt get N64 working, but that wasnt helped by the lack of ssh access
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

sgtgrumbles

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that AllWinner H2/H3 chips didn't support DPI. Just something to consider if you wanted to drive the LCD directly.

spacemishka

Post by spacemishka » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:25 am

if DPI is not working HDMI should.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:35 am

spacemishka wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:19 am
Hello,

have anyone tried using a Banana Pi M2 Zero to build a Gameboy Zero? Seems to be comparable with RPi3 just for the double price of an Raspberry Zero.

...Peter
moosepr wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 am
http://www.nintendont.it/download/ninte ... -2-1-beta/

there is an image here that works, but i couldnt get it on the wifi whichever way i tried!!

i also couldnt get N64 working, but that wasnt helped by the lack of ssh access

i cant wade in on about the Banana Pi....

but i'm in the process of making a build with a Orange Pi (roughly the same power as a Pi3, but the cost of a Pi Zero)...
(the emulation on this board has been very good, especially for the size and the cost)

and so far i'm pleasantly pleased with the way things have been progressing....

downloaded an .img from http://www.retrorangepi.org/

and its been fairly easy to setup (big props to the guys at Retrorange)
Setting up WIFI (very easy)
Transferring Roms/Games (very easy)
GPIO controls (very easy, easier than Retrogame)

my only stumbling block has been getting the SPI screen to work, i know it can be done but my Noob capabilities are starting to show.....

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:29 pm

I plan to use one of these Banana Pi boards in a future build and the spi LCDs are running good (head over to the Discord Chat sometime VeteranGamer). The downfall is the wifi, it works with one of the OS images forgot which but not the RetroPie image.

It has dual core and is way faster than the Pi0W which makes it great candidate for some better emulation and we can configure one core specifically for the SPI LCD so the other core will run the emulators and give the system plenty of head room for the CPU so this means smoother video and emulation.

You can't do DPI unfortunately with the AllWinner H2/H3 chips but SPI or HDMI is usable.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:01 am

Helder wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:29 pm
I plan to use one of these Banana Pi boards in a future build and the spi LCDs are running good (head over to the Discord Chat sometime VeteranGamer). The downfall is the wifi, it works with one of the OS images forgot which but not the RetroPie image.

It has dual core and is way faster than the Pi0W which makes it great candidate for some better emulation and we can configure one core specifically for the SPI LCD so the other core will run the emulators and give the system plenty of head room for the CPU so this means smoother video and emulation.

You can't do DPI unfortunately with the AllWinner H2/H3 chips but SPI or HDMI is usable.

thanks...
i'm gonna have to jump on to discord, the SPI LCD is stumping me at the moment...
i'm either wiring it up wrong or i'm not enabling/installing it correctly....

i did consider the Banana Pi, but these non-raspberry pi boards dont have the same level of support as the Raspberry Pi so i opted for the OrangePi as i felt Retrorange seem like a more workable .img

the board isnt the same form factor as a Pi Zero (unlike the Banana, which is exactly the same), but isnt that far off and is smaller than a Pi2 or Pi3

it roughly the same size as a Game Boy cartridge (which for placement in a GBZ build helps)

what the Retrorange image does offer is a near same experience to that which you'd get on any Raspberry Pi....

as well as having
a built in Desktop (which you wont really use)
working KODI (again you might not use this either)
easy setup of WIFI (WIFI built in on the board i have, but with an antenna - and performs better than a Pi Zero)
easy setup of GPIO controls
easy setup of USB audio
use of ES themes (the same as from the Raspberry Pi)
assignable/programmable function button (which is already on the board) for Restart or Shutdown
3 USB ports
Full size HDMI out
40 Pin GPIO

its a quad core (not exactly performing like a Pi3, but there abouts) but the cost of a Pi Zero....

and for me the main reason was that it emulates Mame/FBA/NeoGeo a lot/way better than the Pi Zero (near flawlessly)

(this isnt a paid advertisement, even thou its just felt like it was :oops: )

littleferris

Post by littleferris » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:46 pm

I didnt even know this was a thing. Would be cool to see it working though!

pajordan

Post by pajordan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm

@VeteranGamer, are you needing to remove any components to get the OrangePi to fit in the GameBoy case? If so, which ones?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:11 am

pajordan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm
@VeteranGamer, are you needing to remove any components to get the OrangePi to fit in the GameBoy case? If so, which ones?

you can get away with just removing the 2.0 USB ports and the GPIO pin headers....
(depending on which way around you want to place the Orange Pi)

i plan on doing NO case mods to accommodate the Orange Pi....

so i plan on removing these parts.....
(removing all of them are not a necessity, just a preference for me)

(this is what i plan on doing, its not a general requirement)