Perfectly fitting DMG-01 battery

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
0xF0F0F0

Perfectly fitting DMG-01 battery

Post by 0xF0F0F0 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:46 am

OK, anyone who builds their GBZ will sooner or later come across the battery problem. My first build used a Samsung S2 battery which fit almost perfectly.
S2 removable battery in a DMG-01Show
z8N8qAt.jpg
z8N8qAt.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
Some minor (yet still annoying) alterations are enough for it to fit, and if you add pogo pins you can have a very nice removable, super clean looking battery. But the S2 is from 2012 and the batteries may (or may not) be at the limit of their shelf life. The huge 4800mAh battery many of use have used is already out of stock in many places.

So, is there any other battery we could use? Something that may fit even better? It would be nice to a) find a battery that fits and b) find one that has a "large" aftermarket version with 3000 mAh and more. I'll use this thread to collect battery dimensions and if anyone is willing to help or measure their own smartphone batteries, it's very welcome.

Gameboy DMG-01 Battery Cartridge Dimensions
It's by far harder to add a longer battery (first value) than a wide battery (second value). The long (~6 cm) S2 battery needs you to shave off parts of the GB shell, whereas you'd only need to cut off parts when adding a wide battery.

5,75 cm x 5,02 cm x 1,14 cm (default)
5,85 cm x 5,58 cm x 1,38 cm (max)

Battery dimensions
The dimensions are first results and should be rechecked. I also didn't check (yet) whether there's huge versions.

Probably a perfect fit:
5.8 cm x 4.3 cm x 0.5 cm - Galaxy Ace
5.7 cm x 4.3 cm x 0.5 cm - Galaxy Ace 2

Might fit with alterations to the case:
5.8 cm x 5.1 cm x 0.6 cm - LG Optimus 4x
6.0 cm x 4.5 cm x 0.5 cm - Galaxy S2 (tested)
6.0 cm x 5.0 cm x 0.4 cm - Galaxy Ace 3
6.0 cm x 5.0 cm x 0.4 cm - Galaxy S3 Mini

Doesn't fit:
6.320 cm x 5.008 cm x 0.441 cm - Galaxy S3
7.1 cm x 5.1 cm x 0.4 cm - Galaxy Ace 4

... to be continued

VeteranGamer

Re: Perfectly fitting DMG-01 battery

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 am

0xF0F0F0 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:46 am
So, is there any other battery we could use? Something that may fit even better? It would be nice to a) find a battery that fits and b) find one that has a "large" aftermarket version with 3000 mAh and more. I'll use this thread to collect battery dimensions and if anyone is willing to help or measure their own smartphone batteries, it's very welcome.

appreciate the effort your putting into to this.....

but batteries have been discussed so many times (i kinda feel that one is sorted... just MHO).....
and there is a very cost effective alternative that requires not really any modification and is of a good MAH capacity
(i've been using it in all my builds for some time now, and so have many others)

i appriciate it may not be as slick looking as a phone battery...
but does that really matter a battery is a battery, and if it bothers people that much, just grab one of YaYa stickers and put it on it
just MHO

a quick search would have brought up these up, if you weren't aware of the 4000mah battery.....
(just using the word "battery" in the search function on the forum)

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ery#p63435
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ery#p48162
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... it=battery
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ery#p54965
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 724#p36667
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ery#p60227

but if its a phone battery your really after....
then most might now not even be an option, as phones are getting larger or the batteries are sealed....

but you never know....

0xF0F0F0

Post by 0xF0F0F0 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks, maybe I should’ve specified more but I‘m especially looking for something that looks as sleek as possible and, at least to me, that does make a lot of difference. I‘d also consider buying an old SNES controller for that < 1mm difference compared to aftermarket buttons, haha.

I‘ll try to figure this out anyway, and might as well document it here in case someone finds it useful! :)

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks

Yeah I understand about the buttons as your always gonna be looking at them as their there in you face constantly....
(the buttons from those cheap $2 knock off controllers are just really cheap and don't feel or look sleek at all)

But the battery is hidden away, and after making mine (and like 90% of people) I’ve never once opened the battery compartment again ....

but i appreciate people have their own preferences....

good luck in your search,
let us know how you get on, there most probably others out that are facing the same issues as you....
(their gonna be a battery out there for you)

cybergenetic

Post by cybergenetic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 am

@0xF0F0F0:

If you cut the little plastic lip from the downside of the battery (Galaxy S2) you get the missing 2mm to fit. I did it without problems.

But.... I also have bought the 125054 and putted the Galaxy S2 Battery away... I think it is the better way.... :-)

0xF0F0F0

Post by 0xF0F0F0 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 am

Hmmmm, the 125054 does fit perfectly, right? Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe a 3d-printable "enclosure" that hides the cables could be an alternative... I really don't like the look of that foil wrapped battery, and the sticker doesn't change much, haha.

@cybergenetic, you have kite's board, right? I have a separate loader for the S2 battery and I'm not sure whether the board managed to load the battery on its own (it always felt as if it didn't). Could it? And the 125054 can be loaded by the board, correct?