When I started this project

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
phuongdv

When I started this project

Post by phuongdv » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 pm

When I started this project, I watched the first video and from see the modifing of the case, it looked doable so I started going through the modification of my broken gameboy that I got from ebay.

Here is what I accomplished. Looks pretty good minus the fact that one of my button holes was cut a little to wide. https://imgur.com/a/YeKJh

So then came the soldering and scratching off the tracers. Man! This was by far the hardest. It took me about 2-3 hours for me to get the top left wires attached to the board... and to be honest, I do not think I did it correctly (hard to see from my image). I did buy a multi meter and will test it but I would recommend to NOT hot glue it until you tested your soldering trace because of how close they are to each other and how difficult it is to get them to attach. I used CAT5 wires to make my cables and they need to be twisted a little after you cut it or the little copper wires at the end will fray.

The only advise I can give is to get a little bitty droplit of solder on the end of your iron and in a sweeping motion from the wire end to the board, sweep the iron tip away from the wire to the tracer on the board until it sticks. It took me a few times to get it to stick and it was very frustrating, and I still wont know if I was successful until I test it. Here is the multi meter I bought off amazon: http://goo.gl/DCuysu

Did anyone else have trouble attching the wires to the board?

tinkerBOY

Re: When I started this project

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 pm

can upload your pictures again? It's not showing up on that website. I'm getting "Oops! We couldn't find that page".
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter