GBC AIO

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
erik_gee

Re: GBC AIO

Post by erik_gee » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:13 pm

I figure I can power the lm393 from battery instead. Provide a little more headroom. Then just add one more v divider for the line comparing to shut down the pi, since the low battery comparator already has a divider set up. So besides changing a bit of routing, it would only need 2 additional resistors.

Right now I'm trying to read the datasheet on how much of a difference between vcc and input signal is required to operate normally. I know I can't go above vcc, but trying to find at what point results are unreliable.
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 am

another update.

Finished testing everything on the first proto. Was able to test the extended sd card connector, screen, and controls. All working well. In the middle of making the proper adjustments now in the design. Things that need to be changed:
  • Low battery detection and shut down detection complete overhaul. The vcc and line in signal were too close and behaved erratically, dropping signals and refernce voltages down with dividers to fix the problem. Tested on breadboard working so should be good.
  • New smd switch. Tried being clever by using a normal dpdt switch upside down mounted but was just slightly too tall. Spent a LONG time looking for compatible switches and i think I may have found 1 or 2 to test. New switch is single pole, so had to get a little creative with the extra circuit,
  • Volume wheel was slightly too tall so switching to a 1mm height wheel.
  • SD connector I bought was wrong type, more appropriate one is being swapped out
  • Adjust placement of indicator LEDs
and the big ones
  • Button layout is switching from the staggered current layout, to the more familiar GBZ layout
  • (Possibly?) Switch to a 2.6 screen

I got a lot of feedback and it seems people dont mind have the nintendo logo cut through in order to achieve the normal 4 button layout, so since this actually makes a few things easier design wise, I will be switching over. I will however be continuing work with the current staggered layout in parallel as I still prefer this layout. I may make a small batch at the end for those who prefer it as well, but i mean SMALL batch, as I would be soldering these ones by hand.

As far as the 2.6 screen goes, it is preferable. The 2.6 spi screens would mean ZERO modifications to the inside of the screen compartment as it would fit (unline the current 2.4 screen that are slightly too wide). This is only a possibility right now as I don't have much experience with these type of screens and would have to seek help from those smarter than me haha I don't wanna be rude and expect a handout, as I know people have put a lot of work into developing the drivers for it and I completely respect and understand that. Thats why its only an idea right now.

now some pictures. Shout out to Helder for recommending using the mintypi image to test the screen, saved me some time
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 am

Don't forget to rotate that display in software. The 2.6 is the perfect fit for the GBC, in time Bluups driver will be available for use just credit where it's due and I'm sure everyone will be content. 32teeth has his schematics freely available for this screen, so a good place to start.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 am

Helder wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:57 am
Don't forget to rotate that display in software. The 2.6 is the perfect fit for the GBC, in time Bluups driver will be available for use just credit where it's due and I'm sure everyone will be content. 32teeth has his schematics freely available for this screen, so a good place to start.
Yup good to hear 👍 yeah I was just happy it turned on, didn't worry about the rotate yet haha the first screen was apparently broken so I was a little on edge trying figure if the design was wrong

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 am

New version in. Testing a new flux, was much messier than I thought haha

Ignore the broken volume wheel, it was just the closest one too me at the time.

Battery charger working well again, mosfet switch working. Gonna test battery detection next, which was one of the big modifications from last version(that didn't work right)

bentresearch

Post by bentresearch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:42 am

Looks amazing so far, any updates?

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Havent updated here in a while. The Board is done now, finished testing. Just going to go through some real world use for a couple weeks to make sure its ok then doing a presale.

Lost a button here haha and i havent removed protective film from screen, but this is more or less what it will look like. Will take better photos and more info once i finish the real world testing

makazatra

Post by makazatra » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Looks very awesome!
What will be the estimated price?

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:44 pm

makazatra wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 pm
Looks very awesome!
What will be the estimated price?
Thank You!

I haven't really given the price much thought. I usually dont think about that sort of stuff until its ready to actually go up haha I like to just focus on making it. So i dont really have an answer right now, sorry. But i'll be sure to update with that info as i get to it.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Extremely rad. Curiousity, where is the power switch? Any thought of changing the X/Y button placement?