Open Source PCB Files for Gameboy Zero

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
rlcmtzc12

Open Source PCB Files for Gameboy Zero

Post by rlcmtzc12 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 am

I recently designed my own Button PCB for the Gameboy zero with integrated charging circuit and Audio circuit (newer version but not tested yet with safeshutdown). I don´t want to sell the boards or anything because there are already good options out there to buy (and to make your own boards where you have to think about the layout and the parts is really funny, interesting and instuctive) So I thought it would be a good idea to make the design files and gerber files available for everyone who would like to build his own PCB and add some custom stuff. So this is more intended for the DIY people out there, who want to try/test something new rather than these who wan´t right from the beginning a really good working board which you can buy from various members here in the forum. I think the board I designed isn´t a bad starting point and maybe someone is interested in that.

here are some pictures of the board:
SpoilerShow
bottom.png
bottom.png (73.27 KiB) Viewed 34510 times
top.png
top.png (77.46 KiB) Viewed 34510 times
pcb_back_soldered.jpg
pcb_back_soldered.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 34510 times
Here is a link to the build with the board I´m currently doing and more infos about it:
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6388

Is this a good idea or do I get someone in the way by giving the boardfiles for free?
I also thought to say that everybody can have the files but if he/she add some functionality he/she has to post the result with the files here in the comments or somewhere in the Forum. (I mean I can´t control that but it would be nice if he/she does that) And also if you use the board/files you should give credit to the person which files you used (if someone else than me edited the board files and uploaded it to the forum)
last the only thing I don´t want is that you use the files to sell the boards.

If this gets approval what would be the best way to publish the files? Here on the forum as an attachment or on github or somewhere else?
---------------------------------- Open source GBZ PCB files ---------------------------
(For faster reply or if i don´t answer in the forum just email me)

erik_gee

Re: Open Source PCB Files for Gameboy Zero

Post by erik_gee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:13 am

That's an awesome thing of you to do! I'm sure many people would appreciate the files and get a lot of use out of them.

Just be warned ahead of time though, with the popularity of the project, if you release files like this they will most likely be sold by someone down the line. It's almost inevitable.

If I can offer an opinion, maybe give the files to people who ask? I feel like that might deter some of the malicious people who may not want to speak 1v1 with the person they are about to rip off.

But if you don't mind a few bad apples here and there, the easiest way would be to make a GitHub most likely, and upload them there. That way people could also push their updates to it as well
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

rlcmtzc12

Post by rlcmtzc12 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:47 am

erik_gee wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:13 am
That's an awesome thing of you to do! I'm sure many people would appreciate the files and get a lot of use out of them.

Just be warned ahead of time though, with the popularity of the project, if you release files like this they will most likely be sold by someone down the line. It's almost inevitable.

If I can offer an opinion, maybe give the files to people who ask? I feel like that might deter some of the malicious people who may not want to speak 1v1 with the person they are about to rip off.

But if you don't mind a few bad apples here and there, the easiest way would be to make a GitHub most likely, and upload them there. That way people could also push their updates to it as well
Ok your right there will be always people who will rip off the project but for starting I will put hope in the people here so I will set up a Github repository the next days. If I see that this gets abused I will change to your Idea of the system where the people have to ask for the files. But first I try this because I really want that you can very easy get the files and can use them right away.
Also I will add a link to this Forum post (or a new one) so everybody who is contributing can also show there design here and everybody who just want to use a design can look throw the forum posts. And in this post everybody can also discuss about their designs and share ideas and give feedback easily.
So I will keep you updated about this topic and thanks for the feedback
---------------------------------- Open source GBZ PCB files ---------------------------

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Awesome👍 thanks for your contributions dude
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

rlcmtzc12

Post by rlcmtzc12 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:55 pm

erik_gee wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm
Awesome👍 thanks for your contributions dude
Ok the Github is finally up and my first Designes are there you can check them out. And feel free to add/suggest changes :D
Github: https://github.com/rlcmtzc/OpenGBZ

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Are these eagle files?

rlcmtzc12

Post by rlcmtzc12 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

KonnorJ wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 pm
Are these eagle files?
No I created the project with easyeda an online editor where you can directly order the pcbs. But I today converted the Baseproject to eaglefilse so for the base button pcbs are also eagle files for the advanced not jet but the second verson I will do also in eagle. But I added the Altium files maybe you can convert them to eagle files.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:46 pm

How many amps can the boost output? 1A? Also stickying this thread so it doesn't get lost.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rlcmtzc12

Post by rlcmtzc12 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:20 am

Helder wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:46 pm
How many amps can the boost output? 1A? Also stickying this thread so it doesn't get lost.
Thanks for sticking the thread :D Oh you are right this is an important info I forgot about to add on the description I updated the Github page. (Works reliable up to 1.2A. Works reliable but gets warm up to 1.4A and works also up to 2A but gets really warm there so i don´t suggest to use it further than max 1.4A)

Edit:
I added now some Eagle files for the schematics and working on the pcb layout so you also can get the more common eagle files.

rlcmtzc12

Post by rlcmtzc12 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 am

So I just finished all the Projects on Github. There is now a new Project, the Version 2 of my first design. This Includes everything version 1 includes but now additional a better Boost Circuit, a hardware Safeshutdown and an Arduino AtMega32u4 which can be programmed over the chargingport of the PCB by just switching a switch. But more Informations are given on the GitHub page.

Also I finished the routing of the first PCB in Eagle.