Best Paint for coloring my Case?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
ChrisBreaksStuff

Best Paint for coloring my Case?

Post by ChrisBreaksStuff » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Hey!

Im honestly not to thrilled with the Quality and the Colors of the Gameboy Advance SP Shells you can find online, so I figured that it might be a good idea to grab a real one from a dead gameboy and paint it to my likings..

Im unsure of what Paint I should go for, I heard lots of good things about Plastidip, since its removeable, but I have no Clue how good it will hold up.. But I figured that it might help covering up scratches and drillholes, since its basically like a spray-foil.

Has anyone any recommendations or experiences with plastidip?

Thanks!

KonnorJ

Re: Best Paint for coloring my Case?

Post by KonnorJ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 am

Didn't Linus do a video where he used plastidip on a of case?

big F

Post by big F » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:47 am

Plastidip is great if the case is absolutely clean, any spec of dirt or finger print grease etc will spoil it.
Experience with it is once you get a nick in its finish its only a matter of time till its starting to want to peal, the self application kits are ok ish.

That said I do have a friend who owns a company that does this sort of thing, among others. He is a perfectionist and, could probably mix up any colour you ask for. Its UK based but would likely be able to ship etc as he and his team regularly do work abroad and have sent stuff before.

PM me if you want details etc.

Failing that Krylon works well on OG Xbox mods and I have used that more than once.

CrogDog

Post by CrogDog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

I've painted a fair amount of plastic bits and one tip I would give you is to make sure to use an adhesion promoter/plastic primer. Especially on an item you might be handling a fair amount. I recently re-dyed the dashboard in a car I'm restoring (it was originally from Texas and had severe UV damage) I used SEM paint products, which are on the expensive side, but worked really well. I've also had good luck with Krylon paint, which you can get at most any hardware store. Lightly sanding the case with some higher grit sandpaper would probably help a lot with adhesion I would imagine.