Looking for Help With Parts List

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
d_stilgar

Looking for Help With Parts List

Post by d_stilgar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm looking to do my first Gameboy Zero build and I can see there's been so much movement in the community since wermy's builds two years ago.

I've done some electronics projects in the past, including an "invisible keyboard," so I feel like this should be doable for me.

I'd really like to try to do an "invisible" Gameboy Zero that's fairly clean inside, but I also like the idea of using the cartridge slot with an SD card adapter.

I'm wondering what the best parts list for this build is. I like the kite boards (and got an email stating the next round opens on the 29th), but I haven't seen builds that use that board and use an SD card adapter cartridge.

As far as extra buttons go, I'd probably add the X, Y and shoulder buttons, but probably skip the analog stick unless everyone agrees it's awesome and totally necessary.

I'd love to get some experienced help getting a parts list together. Thanks for helping a newbie. It can be overwhelming trying to step into this and seeing all the different parts and kits and styles of builds.

KonnorJ

Re: Looking for Help With Parts List

Post by KonnorJ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:46 am

If you use the kite boards the sd is accessible from the contrast port, im not 100% sure if what you are trying to do is necessary but it does seem plausible, maybe reach out to kite for advice there, if you use the cm3 id definitely add the analogue stick as the cm3 supports psx and n64 (kind of).

Hellweaver666

Post by Hellweaver666 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 am

Kites boards are definitely (and probably the only) way to go if you want a really clean interior as they require very little in the way of wires. Any of the "half shell" button PCB's sadly require you at least running additional wires to the Pi and from the screen to the Pi. Check out Wermys video on his youtube channel where he does the second GBZ build with the aftermarket parts. It's cleaner by loads than the original, but still pretty messy. That said, we've come on quite a way since then but I still don't know of anything cleaner than Kites boards.

d_stilgar

Post by d_stilgar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks for the help. I may end up doing two builds, one to learn, another to improve and "perfect" (if that's ever possible, amirite?).

I'll definitely jump on the Kite sale coming up and then probably try for some hardline wiring with clear wire coating and a clear case. The desire for the SD card via the cartridge slot is purely aesthetic but is definitely something I want to do in a build.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:02 pm

I would definitely recommend doing two builds.

My first build was hacked together using all different parts and was a huge mess but It worked and i learned a lot.

Then on your second build you can learn from your mistakes and maybe even get a Kite Circuit Sword.

I really loved building my first one and putting it together from hacked parts is extremely satisfying. The Kite boards are amazing but the satisfaction of completing a build from scratch is like nothing else.